NGK conversion chart to champion plugs

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer
Does annyone have this chart?<br /><br /> I checked the search button with no results. thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: NGK conversion chart to champion plugs

If youre going to use NGK's in an Evin / John carb'd motor, make sure to richen up the mid and hi speed slightly to compensate. If youre going to use Champions in a Merc or Yamaha be aware they'll probably foul pretty easy.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> If youre going to use NGK's in an Evin / John carb'd motor, make sure to richen up the mid and hi speed slightly to compensate. If youre going to use Champions in a Merc or Yamaha be aware they'll probably foul pretty easy.
My old (74) Merc kicker calls for Champion (OEM owner's manual). The local merc guy sold me an NGK plug before I got the manual and saw the Champion spec. I think that's because Mercs generally call for NGKs. I've now used the NGK and the Champions for quite a few hours each, and with my use, see no differnce in starting, performance or fouling (99% trolling) - but I use the Champions anyway since that's what's called for and I do understand there are real differnces even with "equivalents". This is a surface gap plug, can't think of the number off hand.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

depending on model of evin/johnson motor be very! careful about using plugs other then factory recommended<br />i don't like to use brand names but all plugs are not created equal

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Has anyone tried Bosch super 4 spark plugs in a 2-stroke outboard?

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys,<br /><br />Actually I worded my question wrong.<br /><br /> What I was looking for was the equivalent plug from QL82YC and QL78YC To NGK Thanks in advance.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you're looking for an NGK to put in an Evinrude or Johnson. If so, be careful. Be sure to richen up the jetting as mentioned. Damaged pistons can be expensive.

walleyehed

Admiral

claude, heed the advice given by Dhadley, or you will, at some point, be looking for new pistons for your over-haul.....

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys.<br /><br /> Actusly It was not my intention to run NGK, but the motor I bought had NGK's in it I changed over to Champion QL78YC.<br /><br /> The next time I go to the lake I will get the # of these NGK plugs to see what the Champion equivilant would be.

walleyehed

Admiral

claude 70, could you tell us what year and make engine this is for???

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

It is a 1995 130 Johnson

walleyehed

Admiral

V4 Looper...QL78YC's are the correct plugs..

TommyTrucker

Recruit

Thanks guys,<br /><br />Actually I worded my question wrong.<br /><br /> What I was looking for was the equivalent plug from QL82YC and QL78YC To NGK Thanks in advance.

a BPR6HS NGK plug should be OK for the QL82YC and the QL78YC should convert to a BPR8HS or BPZ8HS-10.Happy Boating

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread is 6 years old, Tommy. Please be attentive to the age of a thread when you dig it up from the archives.