Sail Outboard Motor advice or reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi this is my first post here. I have been searching the web for a while now looking for any reviews, input or advice on these Sail Outboard Motors I am seeing for sale on ebay and here http://www.sailoutboardsusa.com/ and http://www.sharkinflatableboats.com/products_outboards_inflatable_boats_outboard_motors.html I cant find a single good or bad review on this product. Does anyone have one of these outboards? Would I be a fool to purchase one? I know they are a knockoff but I am finding some new at ½ the cost of any other new 40hp motor. All documentation I can find says the motors are Yamaha parts compatible. I found one post in this forum alluding to the motor but I am looking for anyone who has purchase or used one.<br />Thanks for any help/advice.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Sail Outboard Motor advice or reviews.

They are not available for sail( :D ) in the U.S. No EPA stickers!!!!!

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Strange because they say they will ship here where did you find that info - how do you know this?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Look at the engines....No stickers. Without EPA approval it is a Federal crime to sell them in the U.S.

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so (I will take your word for it) its illegal to sell them is it illegal to use, own, or buy one in the US? If I did buy one (I haven’t) does anyone know if they are worth owning, or better used for an anchor? I am planning on using one mainly in Mexico so…

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It is illegal to use, own or buy any new engine in the U.S. which is not EPA certified for that model year. As to whether or not they are worth it...Maybe in Mexico, but not here. Also keep in mind that there is no dealer network. No dealer = no warranty. Also, did you catch that there is no address for this company? They might have some models for sale legally some day, but I wouldn't bet on it. Having said all that...I love cheap myself. If anyone does have any inside details on these things I would love to know if they are exact Yamaha old model clones or if they just share some parts.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the epa truly wants to clean up the environment you'd think they'd rather have someone running a 2005 knock off four stroke than a 1975 two stroke.<br />Wouldn't they?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I have emailed them. They are supposed to get back to me with a local dealer who will answer my questions re: EPA. So far the company has said thay are NOT YAMAHA motors.

12345john

Cadet

They are epa exempt as they are not imported in a mass produced number. Also they run very well, and the quality is there in the machine work. I have been running a 40HP for 2 years now with no problems, except the primer bulb had to be replaced. I would buy another if I were to do it over again.

BillP

Captain

It is illegal to use, own or buy any new engine in the U.S. which is not EPA certified for that model year. As to whether or not they are worth it...Maybe in Mexico, but not here. Also keep in mind that there is no dealer network. No dealer = no warranty. Also, did you catch that there is no address for this company? They might have some models for sale legally some day, but I wouldn't bet on it. Having said all that...I love cheap myself. If anyone does have any inside details on these things I would love to know if they are exact Yamaha old model clones or if they just share some parts.

The small ones look like a tohatsu/merc/nissan clone. Someone told me sail parts interchange with them but I've never tried to find out if it is factual.
The smallest one also looks like an old suzuki 2 stroke. There's a chinese company doing the same with motorcyles...and are clones of suzuki down to exact parts.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would like to know more about those OB's myself ... from the pics they look like very modern up to date style OB's and I suspect they are supplied to Sail by brand names compagnies ... just like GoodYear manufacturing tires with the Canadian Tire logo on them ...

Gurney

Recruit

I bought a Sail 40hp here in New Zealand, where there were also no dealers other than the importer. The motor was to replace a 30hp Yamaha which had corroded its internal anode right through the block.
The Sail is of course bigger than the Yamaha, heavier, too. It was the only model then available, a two-stroke manual start and tilt with no provision for remotes of any kind, and it was less than half the price of anything else available, which you have to keep in mind. It came with a spare head-gasket, which makes me wonder if it too has a sacrificial anode in the block. It had a prop suitable for my aluminium fishing boat, tank and fuel pipe, and a very rudimentary owners manual, which told me the mixture but not much more.
It is a professional-type job to set it up for remote operation, make no mistake about that. The tilt is noticably heavy to use, to the point that you think it is locked down the first time that you try it! It starts readily, but the pull is heavier than many women could cope with. The only problems have been in the fuel system, with the primer-bulb splitting, (the second one has hardened to uselessness) and the in-tank pick-up pipe developing an air leak which made the motor suck the pipe dry when idling. No problem to fix, but I had a hairy time with an onshore wind and shallow water.
Generally the motor seems well-made, but some of the details are poor, the decals deteriorating rapidly, and that fuel system needs to be sorted long before you put to sea. It doesn't like ear-muff flushing, little water seems to get to the head. If you are the sort of person who understands what I've posted, averagely strong, you could be happy with the motor. I am. But I wish I'd waited until remote controls and steer, and electric start were available. They would have been worth the expense to save the trouble.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they show up on ebay also. so dependable they come with spare parts and part of the package. where do you get service, who does warranty work?

Gurney

Recruit

Tashadaddy, I bought mine without a written warranty, which the price reflected. My seller/importer does his best, but he is a businessman and a welder, not an outboard mechanic. It was new from the manufacturer, whoever they are.
Service? Grease, CRC, and oilchange in the gearbox! It is an oil/petrol premix twocycle.
I went out today, and on my return had a go at the telltale, which I realised was partially blocked. It was an earwig's backside! Seems to be flushing OK now. However, another rubber weakness revealed itself. The cowl seal rubber is leaving big black marks on everything it touches, so it looks as if it is breaking down. I may have to find a substitute, sometime.
And I suppose that is the nub of the matter, you have to be something of a hotrodder when you buy something like this. As some of the rubber items seem suspect, find a way around it with substitute items. If it needs mechanical repair, I'll have to take it to an engine rebuilder.
I suspect these are early-production models, and they should get better. I'd like a Workshop Manual, though.

Gurney

Recruit

Oh, by the way, two outboard boating shops that I have chatted to here have shown interest in becoming dealers of the brand. This came up in conversation, and neither showed any reluctance to get stuck into the motors. I wouldn't be surprised if any mechanic anywhere was quite happy to work on them, they look pretty standard stuff, reed-valves etc. from the sound they make.
Which is not the same as a warrenty, of course, but IS a sort of comfort.
The mixture is 50:1, not terribly smokey, but not as lean as the Yamaha.

Gurney

Recruit

The motors are still being sold here, and still the same way, through our equivalent of Ebay (TradeMe.) Now available in several models, two auxiliaries, a motor suitable for a 12' tinny, and the 40hp.
The current advertiser has several entries for them at any one time. There are no second-hand ones advertised! This may be a recommendation, I think.
Still an all-manual motor, though.

If anyone wants to keep an eye on them, you can browse TradeMe. Only registered menbers can buy and sell, of course.

earlringbom

Recruit

earlringbom

pecheux and gurney,
Finally another Sail owner(s)! Got a 40hp from a friend who bought it almost new. Still no one recognizes the brand and the company is no help - won't even send a manual. To begin with, the tilt stop lever and tilt stop knob need replacing. People don't want to work on an unknown brand. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.