Jump start evinrude outboard

louvieroi

Recruit
My ignition key and wire harness is all messed up. How can I jump start engine/outboard?<br />it is an Evinrude big twin, year I do not know, model#40353D serial#E01421.<br />The boat is a 14ft starcraft, the control and cables do not seem to be for this boat, cables are way too long (13ft) what size cable do I need? or how do I measure this?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Jump start evinrude outboard

Disconnect the plug from the controls to the engine. With the cowling off, visually inspect the wiring that comes from the connector on the side of the engine, looking for bare wires. Correct any such problem.<br /><br />Use jumper cables. Connect the negative side to the braided ground strap you'll see near the bottom of the powerhead. To run the starter, touch the positive end to the big connector on the starter. You can operate the choke manually.<br /><br />Get a manual! You'll need it to figure out the wiring for your rewire.<br /><br />Good luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jump start evinrude outboard

You can use a short piece of much smaller wire to simply jump the solenoid (less current to deal with). Touch one end of the wire to large terminal that has the positive battery cable connected to it. Touch the other end to the SMALL start terminal. There are two small terminals. One is grounded, the other operates from the ignition switch. Thats the terminal you need to jump. The main harness must be disconnected as the kill switch and ignition switch would affect starting.