What is Chine Walking?

tee-boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
could someone provide explanation of chine walking. I'm unfamiliar.

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What is Chine Walking?

tee-boy,<br /><br />I found this on one bass fishing website. Hope this helps!<br /><br />RobG<br /><br />Well on outboards, after installing dual steering and properly adjusting out steering cable backlash, the next step is to add rigid motor mounts to reduce the fish tailing that causes dangerous chine walking. Chine walk is the tendency for your boat to oscillate back and forth between its port and starboard chines.

LubeDude

Admiral

Great artical Paul.<br /><br />On most boats, it can be overcome by raising the engine on the transom, but when you get into a position of "falling off the pad" as in High performance boats it can become tricky, however, I believe that the installation of a set of smart tabs would eliminate it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Be real careful when you hear someone make a blanket statement about things. Adding rigid or solid motor mounts can lead to a dangerous situation on some outboard motors. On some its a good idea, some not.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what is chine walk? <br /> mostly scary above 70 MPH or so.<br /> more so if your the passenger and know what is going on.<br /> the chine is the area of the bottom that meets the sides. when its rocking off the pad side to side it hits and rebounds to the other side. can lead to loss of control and the occasional barnacle side up situation.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Try it in 2 1/2 tons of deep Vee hull. It's a blast!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no thank you<br /> rodbolt dont like wormy riding hulls at speed :) :) . my friends husband died playing with one some years back. I like playing with go fast motors but I fix them. I let someone else play with them.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When it chucks you outta the boat, the chinewalking stops, because the weight balance has been altered!<br /><br />That's called a self-correcting situation.

tee-boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info. will try to steer clear of this in future, but probably won't have a problem w/ my 60horser

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope, unless your planing on mounting that 60 horse to a sheet of plywood, you wont have to worry about chinewalking.<br /><br />Cheers... Canuck 16.