Using an outboard in freezing temperatures

fishstix

Cadet
I use my boat for walleye fishing when the temperatures go well below freezing. My concern is water left in the lower unit or block freezing and causing damage. Is there a product I could use to flush the lower unit after use such as an RV antifreeze? My thought is to displace the water with a solution using muffs. I have seen a product (biodegradeable)for winterizing a boat at the dock, but I contacted the manufacturer with questions and they don't respond.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Using an outboard in freezing temperatures

As long as you store your engine in the upright position, you will be fine. There will be no water in it to freeze.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

As long as you park the boat on the level and not uphill, and keep the motor in the down position you should be just fine...I use outboards thru the winter with no problems yet...knock on wood :)

sloopy

Commander

I agree with lubeude and Chief, JUST BE SURE to keep the outboard down and not in the trailer or tilted position. YOu also want fresh lower-unit oil, if you have old oil with water it can freeze.

BrianW

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know the correct answer, but here's my experience from last winter.<br /><br />My boat (the aluminum job with the single Honda main and small Honda kicker) in the slip. Note the very stiff water...<br /><br />
f9c97a6a.jpg
<br /><br />...another view.<br /><br />
f9c98d81.jpg
<br /><br />Here's the 130 in a close up...<br /><br />
f9c97a70.jpg
<br /><br />...and finally what happens to the anchor when thrown overboard. :) <br /><br />
f9c98d7b.jpg
<br /><br />Mind you, this is saltwater. Anyhow, both engine still work fine. One down, one stored up. Maybe I got lucky? It did take a long time before the 130hp motor started to 'pee'! I do believe I was the first to break ice that day. :)

angus63

Captain

Why use the boat??? Just walk, or better yet drive!!!!!!