150 Yamaha HPDI VS 4 STROKE

vinney

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 150 Yamaha HPDI VS 4 STROKE

Forktree now your an expert on Alaska too. Whats next women clothing. You are the master of an arm chair expert. Guys that have never done much just alot of wind. You haven't made much money in your life. You blame your poor gene pool. Some get the job done in life and some watch and tell the ones who get the job done how they should be doing it(forktree). The big secret is we never listen to you guys. All you guy that live and die by customer reports You never see the real good stuff out in the real world Your bible comsumer reports won't let you. As for your ford F-550 You have never made enough money to buy that rig and cusomer reports rate that truck at #3 not #1. Have fun with your little life and your four-strokes. I will be playing with the big boys and My two-strokes.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.....zzzz...zzzz...zzzz...zzzz...zzz... :eek: Oh, I'm sorry, you guys just bored me to sleep!

mharkness

Recruit

Originally posted by Quantumleap:<br /> Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.....zzzz...zzzz...zzzz...zzzz...zzz... :eek: Oh, I'm sorry, you guys just bored me to sleep!
Very informative post. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Alex65, thanks for that testimonial. It is good to hear people's opinions. Would anybody else chime in with their opinion on their 4 stroke??

BillP

Captain

Yep, I'll chime in. I was one of the guys who swallowed the 4 stroke hype and bought one. I have a carbed 4 stroke and have used it since new in 1996. It sits along several other 2 strokes I own and use. It smokes less and is quieter than the 2 strokes. I see zero difference in starting. Then again, I don't take notes to see if one starts in 3 seconds instead of 2 seconds either. It isn't and never has been an issue with 2 strokes. The 2 strokes idle rougher and smoke more...something which can be somewhat eliminated by using synthetic oil (I don't) or the latest tech 2s engines. <br /><br />In MY experience of using 2 strokes, they require no more plug changes than my 4 stroke does. I think that is more hype generated by synthetic oil peddlers with little or no actual experience. I have too many 2 strokes under my belt to believe different. Change or check them every few hundred hours IF it makes you feel better. If it's worse than that your motor isn't tuned right or the oil ratio is off.<br /><br />Yes, the carbed 4 stroke sips fuel compared to a carbed 2 stroke. Cruising range is better for same tankage. What I don't like about the 4 stroke...I don't like the heavier weight...50 x 4S is same as my 65 & 70 x 2S. I don't like changing the crankcase oil and filter. I don't like checking or adjusting the valves. I don't like having a timing belt. I don't like checking the oil (because the motor is mounted on a pontoon boat and difficult to access). Compare that to adding premix oil and a seasonal decarb (really only needed every 200-300 hrs)and the 2 stroke wins for ease of use in my book. <br /><br />Reliability? Too close to call. Both motors share the same fuel delivery and electrical technology. Those are the areas that cause 95% of the breakdowns and both have the same issues. A well maintained 2 stroke gets 2000-3000 hrs before overhaul (TBO)and 4 stroke reported ***x-5000 TBO??? I think it is folly for the avg boater to worry about a 2000 hr motor...because he never runs the boat enough to need more hrs. For ease and cost of powerhead repair, the 2 stroke wins hands down. <br /><br />Contrary to earlier posts about "all" the guides using 4 strokes (must be in other parts of the country). We are seeing more and more 4 strokes but 95%+ of the guides in southern Florida are using 2 strokes. From flats boats to 30' offshore rigs. I'm talking the east coast between Canaveral and Key West. Experienced boaters are still buying and using 2 strokes around here in large numbers. However, the boat shows have 90% 4 strokes on pleasure boats and make a big impact on perception.<br /><br />I'm with Vinny on 2 strokes and the pro boys who have unlimited bankrolls. You don't see many of them hanging 800lb each 4 strokes on their rigs. They wouldn't be doing it if reliabilty and performance was an issue.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

There are three types of Two-strokes. Carb. EFI. and DFI. They are not all the same. Alot of people group all two-strokes the same. We ask every customer that wants to buy a fourstroke to water test both a Two-stroke and four-stroke(same boat,same hp.). Most people after a good water test have different thoughts of what they want. The proof is in the preformance of the products. DFI technology engines run very well and are very quite compaired to a carb two-stroke. I built a new house two years ago and want the best appliances I could buy. I bought a consumer magazine on appliances I made a list of all the number 1 products and went shopping. After comparing what I want verse consumer reports picks. I didn't pick one product that consumer report picked(#1). Cost wasn't a factor features and preformance. All the products I bought stove/ washer/dryer/fridge/micro/dishwasher/disposal/compactor. My thought was I would have missed out on the products I own If I went with what some consumer report said. All the products that were bought have been great and preformed well. The same thing with a four-stroke If I only read a report from consumer report and what some guy said I would have missed out on the lastest DFI technology. That was the only time I have looked at that magazine and the last.