What size kicker motor would you recommend? And what type?

Sam F

Recruit
Hi, my apologies if this is repetitive of other questions. I recently got a modest little 17 ft Larson tri-hull with the original 1971 two stroke Johnson 85 hp outboard. So far, the old boy has been fine, but I'm interested in trolling fishing and didn't want to put the stress of low speed trolling on the main motor. Plus, given the age of it, more than a little interested in having a backup source of power as well. Almost exclusively lake and reservoirs, not taking it to Lake Erie or anything, but some of the lakes are decent size.

I tried a 55 lb thrust transom electric trolling motor, and it could push the boat a little, but only at the highest power setting. That doesn't seem like a great option, esp if there's any kind of wind.

Was thinking of a small outboard, but totally lost on what size would be good. Plus, don't want to break the bank or get an engine worth as much or more than the boat itself. Would a 3.5 or 4 hp be enough for trolling and emergency backup power? Is it safe to transom mount a small single-cylinder engine like that? Or would it need a mounting bracket? There appears to be plenty of room (the previous owner had a 15 hp kicker but I didn't buy that motor).

Any advice at all would be great.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

on a calm day, a 2hp outboard would be all you need

on a windy day, you may need a 15hp

Sam F

Recruit
welcome aboard

on a calm day, a 2hp outboard would be all you need

on a windy day, you may need a 15hp

Thanks, I've been thinking a 4 hp outboard or maybe, if staying the electric route, adding a battery and going with an 80 lb 24v, but honestly been overanalyzing it all and got all tied up in knots.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The day you run into trouble would just as likely be a windy day, better to have a little too much power then not enough. Maybe a 9.9 hp? I also wouldn't rely on a battery to get me out of trouble.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Heavy boat. 15hp, imo. I've always preferred adjustable transom brackets.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Whichever motor you buy will need to prop it right for max wot rpm range to take the combo out of trouble faster depending on the selected HP. Portable range motors with factory delivered props are usually medium pitched and not suited to power efficiently large and heavy applications. A min 9.8 HP would be my personal choice...

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Been there, done that, with every boat I have owned since 1968.

If your transom is wide enough to mount a second motor, that would be the preferred installation. Closer for better access, and a more stable mount.

A retractable transom bracket is OK, but they bounce a lot and if you trail long on the highway you will need to dismount the motor on the road and put it in the car.

I ran a 16 footer with a 6 HP, and 19 footer with a 9.9. Both performed extremely well and would basically achieve hull speed.

My current heavy 19 footer has a fixed mount Panther bracket on the swim platform and its the best aftermarket mount I ever bought. I'm running a 4-stroke 5 HP Mercury SailPro and it'll push the boat about 6.5 mph.

If I owned your boat I would go with a 9.9. For the heavy load check the prop selections and change the prop to a "sailboat" type prop. A "normal",prop will make the engine lug. You need the lowest pitch available to enable the motor to reach normal rpms.

Type??? Well today I wold personally never run anything but a 4-stroke. But since yours is an older 2-stroke I would look for a good used 2-stroke Evinrude or Johnson. You could tap into the same fuel line for a simple installation and you won't need a separate tank.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I use the 9.9/15 hp motors from OMC, because if you look hard enough you can find the pieces to put remote controls on them.

Sam F

Recruit
Many thanks to all who responded, I will look for a used 8 to 9.9 hp (not sure I can afford new, and a new one would be about what I paid for the boat anyway).

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
A 1980-1992 9.9 Evinrude/Johnson motor will fit your needs nicely and can be found for reasonable prices.