Evinrude 9.9

looserivet

Cadet
I recently inherited a super clean 14ft Starcraft aluminum boat, (SF14) with a short transom.
All of my current motors are long shaft or remote control only so I've been keeping an eye out for clean short shaft motor.
We have a 9.9hp limit on the only big lake around here so that's my limit in HP.
I spotted a clean looking '82 Evinrude 9.9 on CL the other day and went to check it out.
I attached a link to the motor I'm looking at.
The guy let me check compression and its got 111 and 110 psi on my compression gauge. I gave each cylinder four pulls of the rope. I wasn't sure if that's normal for one of these or not?
What is normal for these 2 stroke motors?

The motor doesn't look like its had much use and it came from central PA, which is a good thing to find around here with all the saltwater run motors here. The guy said the prop was reconditioned, two new plugs installed, a new water pump, and the lower unit was sealed and pressure tested 4 years ago when it was last used. Some dealer in PA did he work.
The seller is an old guy who seems to be just selling off stuff that belonged a relative.
What should one of these older motors sell for these days?
I got sticker shock at the one local dealer, they wanted $1650 for a used 1990 model and over $2,500 for a new four stroke.
This one looked exceptionally clean, cleaner than the one the dealer had.
The seller doesn't have a fuel tank or hose, but I have an Omc tank that came with my boat, and I'd want a new fuel hose anyhow.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That motor has been repainted and has new generic decals on it. The compression is good for that motor but how does it run. I would want to run it and make sure it cools properly especially if salt water is a problem.

looserivet

Cadet
I would pretty much assume any 40 year old outboard has been repainted, and that one looks pretty well done to me.
Chances are if it weren't repainted, I'd only be looking at doing it myself. It looked really good up close. If it were repainted, its been a while, it didn't look 'fresh'.

If it has good compression, isn't that the most important part?
Its not like he's asking a ton of money for it. Especially compared to others I've looked at.
He said it came from central PA too, pretty far away from any saltwater.
He don't have a fuel line or tank to run it with, and I wouldn't expect him to spend $100 for a new tank and fuel line just to sell a cheap outboard.It would only increase what he wants for the motor.
I'm also not going to buy a tank and line for a motor I don't own yet.
I sort of figured I'd offer him $600 and go from there, The way I see it, I want to be on the water for under $1500,

The way I was looking at it is that if its what he says it is, I got it for super cheap, if it needs the carb cleaned, I'm only out a $3 can of carb cleaner and an hour or so of my time. I'd only really be concerned I think if he didn't let me check compression on it.
Even if he had a tank and hose to run it with, any over heating issue wouldn't likely turn up on a stand running in a bucket.
The same goes for the used motor the dealer has for twice the price. They make it clear that its a 'used' motor with no warranty. If you want a warranty you have to spend $2600.

This is also the first 9.9 I've seen for sale so far this year under $1K. There's plenty of used 4 strokes but they're all too heavy for a light, portable 14ft boat, I've been looking for a while for a decent two stroke to turn up.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I don't care if you buy it or not I gave you my impressions now it is up to you.

looserivet

Cadet
You make it sound like there's something wrong with it being repainted?

I suppose if it wasn't it would look pretty faded and beat after all these years, I saw the repaint as a lot of work and time saved.

If it were new old stock it would be $800?

I was mainly concerned about the compression since my old Evinrude 70hp had 155/154/157 on all three cylinders when I first got it. It was down to 140/139/143 when I sold it two years ago.

I've got one more to look at before I decide, there's a Coleman motor for sale in a local free ad paper for a bit more, the seller swears its a two stroke but I can't see where they made one.
The main goal is for it to be lightweight because I intend to use it in places where the boat will need to be hand launched.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Like I said I gave you my impressions so buy what you want. Stay away from the Coleman

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Often people paint them like that in my area to hide the fact that it is a 15hp motor. So it can be used on hp restricted lakes.

looserivet

Cadet
I was kind of thinking the same thing. A lot of people also put 15hp carbs on their 9.9's too.