Jet powered or Prop.

Easlo

Cadet
I currently own a 2018 (10 hours of use)Yamaha F25 powered by a prop. I'm looking at a possible trade for a 2015 30hp (130 hours) jet style Yamaha. I do want to upgrade in power with a 30hp not being much more but I've never owned a jet propelled outboard. Any advantage with jets over a prop? If any?

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I guess one advantage of a jet is it can go in shallower waters without concerns of hitting your prop. The cons are that it can clog with weeds and other things and does not steer as well when trying to dock and the like.

alldodge

Staff member
^^^ Agree, and also jets are not as efficient, so getting 5 more hp you may even loose speed

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Agree with both of those and if it is a factory jet it will probably have a 50 hp powerhead on it. That is because jets are terribly inefficient. So you might want to look at the weight difference also, and if it is a 30 hp powerhead with a jet you will lose power and speed.

Easlo

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just going to stick with the F25.

dwco5051

Commander
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just going to stick with the F25.

Unless you boat on a river like some of the ones around here where you probably bump two or three rocks on the average fishing trip sticking with what you have is right. They are gas hogs but still cheaper than replacing props and lower end parts.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The complete and utter shameful lack of efficient from a jet boat plays havoc with me, as an engineer. I can’t hardly stand the idea of them. Haha.