why don't OBs have a water temp sensor besides squeal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why don't OBs have a water temp sensor besides squeal

Why is it that with OB's they don't use a water temperature gauge? I know that water pump pressure is very important and is measured but it seems like it would be just as important to see the actual engine temperature in case the system picked up some blockage. I think most have a squeal sensor but it is kinda like the idiot lights of old, when you hear that it might be too late to save it. Not to mention on my 90elpt I don't hear it during start up to validate its working.

Why is it that with OB's they don't use a water temperature gauge? I know that water pump pressure is very important and is measured but it seems like it would be just as important to see the actual engine temperature in case the system picked up some blockage. I think most have a squeal sensor but it is kinda like the idiot lights of old, when you hear that it might be too late to save it. Not to mention on my 90elpt I don't hear it during start up to validate its working.

Comment

Please dont start multiple topics about the same subject, duplicate deleted

Never owned a modern enough outboard to have either warning method....
      Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

???----No big deal here.----Hurry and run to a boat shop and have an accessory temperature gauge installed !

Comment

There are many choices if you wish to add a temp gauge.

Comment

High coolant temps are the result of poor or lack of water flow

I would rather monitor the cause than the result

Comment

I've seen water temp gauges as std equipment on some OB boats. Newer Mercs with an ECM have a lot of readable data if you add a VesselView App on your smartphone.

I always thought the App was a waste of money and then I finally broke down and bought 2 of them. Funny thing - the very first time out I picked up a plastic bag on my lower unit while at cruising speed. Had the phone on the dash on a mount and just by luck I glanced at the screen and saw the temp rising. I stopped and investigated and saw the bag fall off. Then the temp went right back down. Now to me its a bargain priced option.
              2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
              2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
              2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
              1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
              1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
              1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
              69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Most of the older inline Mercury motors didn't have a thermostat. They ran dead cold at idle and warmer at cruise. A temperature gauge would therefore show nothing most of the time, until the motor overheated.

Johnnyrudes always had thermostats, and therefore could have gauge senders. However, a water pressure gauge is much better than a temp gauge, for the reasons listed, and not many folks wanted both gauges.

Comment

I have a gauge for water pressure however I'd like to have one for water temperature. Is there a reason that this is not commonly done except for a warning buzzer?

Comment

Your local friendly shop can install an optional temperature gauge.

Comment

Working...
                    X