Used Boat unanswered questions!

Frankls31

Cadet
About to close on a deal for a used 2002 deckboat with original 2 stroke Merc 125 exlpto outboard (blue -salt) the interior is almost perfect as well as bottom of boat and trailer. Issue is that marina which is brokering deal only knows that the outboard was "rebuilt" last year 2019. They reached out to the mechanic and only said the pistons were replaced. They didn't know anymore details than that. I asked what that meant since I am not very knowledgeable and they says majority of time from carbon buildup. Question is could this be a bad thing? I'm afraid there could be many other issues and previous owner only fixed what needed to be to be sellable. They don't know how long or if ever was in salt water. They said he spent $1600 on the work. Any help would be appreciated!

tpenfield

Staff member
Not much you can do as beyond what info you already have. The thing to do is make the sale contingent upon a mechanical inspection of the engine, which includes a compression test and a cylinder leak test. That way you will have a better idea if the cylinder/piston work was done well or as a band-aid.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I call BS on the Carbon build up claim just my 2 cents. There are chemicals like Merc powertune and BRP engine tune which are Very effective at removing carbon. Ask the Mechanic if the skirts were broken, those motors are known for doing that when they are over reved. Take it to a MERC mechanic who is familiar with the 2+2 motor and have it checked out thoroughly. Was it bored out? If the skirts broke how did they clean the bearings?

Frankls31

Cadet
I call BS on the Carbon build up claim just my 2 cents

Thanks for the responses guys....So went back took pictures of outboard and there are different numbers next to each cylinder 13, 0, 10, 5 I assume this is how much each cylinder was bored! So yes it was bored. They told me I could pay a mechanic to take a look at it. Now having cylinders bored and new pistons, is that a deal breaker? Could I still get a few years out of the outboard? I will ask the mechanic about the skirts, what else is most important to know. Thanks again fellas!

tpenfield

Staff member
I would think all cylinders would be bored the same amount, as pistons for over-bores come in 'standard sizes' :noidea:

Frankls31

Cadet
I would think all cylinders would be bored the same amount, as pistons for over-bores come in 'standard sizes' :noidea:

Ok gotcha...Well the broker did did say they did bored all 4 cylinders. Im not sure if pictures help at all but figure I would share. Going to request an engine inspection but they are just pushing for sea trial.

Attachments

• engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • engine3.jpg
    engine3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0