Tohatsu TLDI 90B Two Stroke Oil

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2004 Tohatsu TLDI 90B and I have heard they are sensitive to the type of tcw3 oil they use. So much so that they have to be reprogrammed whenever you want to change brands/types. I am out of what the previous owner used and can't remember what it was. I have always used Penzoil xlf tcw3. Has anyone else had issues changing to a different type of oil or am I over thinking this? Also, is there a consensus on which oil this motor likes best? I appreciate your feedback, thank you.

robert graham

Admiral
The motor has no idea what brand of oil you're running, only if it's receiving adequate lubrication to prevent damage.....I'm a 2 stroke guy and I use the Sierra 100% Synthetic Outboard oil with Yamaha Ringfree to help reduce carbon and to stabilize the fuel....also add Stabil for any lengthy lay-ups....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Some (not all) oil injected outboards have settings for the system. If you change oil type, you may have to reprogram the puter. Not all viscosities and thixotropies are necessarily the same, thus the flow properties may be different.

I dunno about Tohatsus. Why don't you contact a local Tohatsu dealer and ask him about your specific motor.

Regardless, the difference in oil price varies little from manufacturer to manufacturer (on a dollars per hour running the motor calculation). Petty cash... If it were my motor I would run the oil that is specified in the owner's manual and forgetaboutit..

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Highly doubt it would make a difference to your motor, but if you're worried, use what's recommended and dont switch. problem solved!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your motor is direct injected so yes you want to use the correct oil. Look up what is recommended for an optimax.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Crap, look up what is recommended for your exact motor.

Some DI motors are very particular about what oil they use (see eTEC). Optimax can use regular TCW-III oil. or Mercury DI oil. Not sure about your motor.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone. The issues I am having are that I am not sure what oil the previous owner was using. I remember it was an off brand and I was not happy with it but I have since lost the container and cant remember the brand. I have always used and been happy with penzoil and would prefer to use the same oil in everything. I would tend to agree with Robert Graham in the first reply, oil is oil... If it meets the spec use it. This is the first advanced computer controlled oil injection system I have owned and rumor has it, it matters. I agree with Jims123. The cost is minimal, I want run the best oil per the manufacturer but I'm stuck not knowing what I have and if the computer has been reprogrammed already. I suppose I will just have to talk to the dealer. Thank you all for your valuable insight . I appreciate it.