Ran boat for 30 minutes with low oil pressure alarm on

hippalotamos

Recruit
My fiancé and her sister took my boat to meet me at the boat ramp, while I took my truck and trailer. They get there and I hear the low oil alarm on... they didn’t know what it was, so thought nothing of it. Said it came on shortly after they started. I’m guessing they roughly ran it for about 5 mins before the alarm came on and 30 or less with the alarm on. I shut it off as soon as I heard it, put oil in it, and it noise instantly went off. Put my hand on top of the motor and it was warm but not super hot or anything. Think I’m okay? Running a mercury 90/65 two stroke jet

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Take a compression test, and check the oil level. If the oil looks good and the compression is good, it is likely the sensor is bad.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If that is a 2 cycle motor, they usually have a low oil level alarm. There is still plenty of oil when the alarm goes off, but you do need to refill the reservoir pretty soon.

hippalotamos

Recruit
Yes it is a 2 cycle motor. And yeah when I heard the low oil alarm I shut it off instantly. I looked down in the reservoir and it was very low but there was still a little oil in the bottom. I then instantly refilled the reservoir with oil I had on the boat. As soon as I did that the alarm went off. I’m glad to know when the alarm goes off there is still plenty of oil. Makes me think it is probably okay.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The point of the alarm is to remind you to refill the reservoir, before the engine is damaged.

I would recommend you fill the reservoir before lending to "soon to be BIL" and sister!

CaptainRon16

Recruit
Yes, as others have stated, the low oil alarm is just that, a LOW oil alarm. Not an OUT of oil alarm. Just like running a car with the low fuel light on until you get to the gas station to fill up. You're likely fine, happy boating!