What's it? 1957 Evinrude lark, tow eye?

Jdunham

Seaman
I recently picked up a 1957 Evinrude lark. Its complete but rough.
It has a feature that I cannot identify. On the leg, just above the lower pivot point, is a 2 piece, clamped on eye. Clearly made for an OMC leg.
It is stamped 55.
What is this? My first thought was some sort of motor support for trailering but its pointing the wrong way.
Was this for towing a skier? The boat it came on doesn't have any good transom tow points.
I tried the internet, but not knowing what to call it I mostly got modern boat mounted tow systems.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong with the direct photo upload, but this is the link to the image from my icloud account.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Iez946RXvZVbc_6zDWwNODZg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sounds like a skier tow eye

Apple wouldn't let me see your pix,

The iboats pix feature is sidelined on the injured reserve list.... .

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It was Marketed as a Tow Eye, Not really a good Idea, as a Skier could really yank a motor around, to the point of Damaging the Transom and Swivel Brackets, in addition to compromising the Control of the Boat
The 55 probably refers it for a 55, but the Exhaust Housing for the 57 35hp/Lark was pretty much the same as the 55 25hp

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This could be hard on the motor exhaust housing.------Likely not properly engineered to pull an adult skier.

Jdunham

Seaman
Ok, Now that I have the image thing sorted out, I wanted to post a picture to make sure we were all on the same page.
This is what it looks like:

Attachments

• photo332685.jpg
    photo332685.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
good for kids.----I picked up a tow rope for a 5 person water toy.-----Looks to be near 3/4" rope.-------I do not believe that part in your picture would last long.

Jdunham

Seaman
I am definitely not going to mount it.
There are two things about it that worry me. The first is to Jimmbo's point about yanking the motor around. The other is the proximity of the rope to the prop.