Craigslist/facebook marketplace outboard prices... Keep Dreaming!

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Anyone else notice how lots of folks are adamant their engine is worth way more than reality? I've seen guys asking $1500 for a 8hp evinrude from 1989! Many red flags with other sellers too... for example the ubiquitous "ran great last season" and then when you go to view the motor, they won't even let you do a compression check!
My advice has always been this: if the motor cannot be demonstrated, it MUST be sold as a parts motor. of course there are rare exceptions, but just because the seller "knows it runs perfectly" doesn't mean they are telling the truth.
This also leads me to wonder how many older outboards are actually being sold. My guess is not many because people don't realize the work involved to get them back to service, and the price they offer them for. Then it's like a game of dominos: the motor is priced way too high, the motor "for some reason" doesn't sell, it gets stuffed in a shed, and 20 years later, after seizing up, it goes to the scrap yard. Kinda sad really. For example: I love OMC motors. A guy is selling a 1994 70hp motor for an absurd $2500 (see them all the time up North). He won't run it for you, and has no idea when it was serviced. Even if he does run it and it seems ok, it will need a water pump, plugs and a complete inspection of the fuel and ignition components. $150 minimum and hours of your time. My price would be $1000-$1200, not a penny more. Just rambling in quarantine I guess!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
On postings the axiom "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is" certainly applies to boats offered. When you see a boat listed for 1/10th of what seems like a reasonable price, and your assessment is inline with other boats, similar in nature selling for what your gut tells you is a reasonable price, just move on. Another clue is minimum posted information, like a single picture and the caption, "runs great", a West Coast registered boat selling on the East Coast CG, another example, sometimes the registration number blacked out......on and on.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your best deals are not on face-tube or evilbay. they will be garage sales, etc.

and yes, people think their stuff is worth more than it should be.

rothfm

Ensign
Bit of an old thread...But I might be the exception to the rule. I take in 2-3 motors per year. 90deg omc crossflows...88's, 90's,115's mostly, an occasional V6. I Have known these motors all my life.

Its a tad of a hobby. it started out by me wanting a "drop-on" spare for my fishing boat. I Spend the fall/winter and spring going completely thru each motor, saving every receipt, listing all parts, what was done and pictures. I put this info into a little binder for each motor, including a chart of DVA readings.

I do the block, bearings, everything. If it needs boring/pistons, I do it. If not, I dont...but all get an overhaul. Carbs, lower unit seals, all hoses...spec'd per OEM manual.

then Completely degreased, all sanded by hand and painted via a gun with hardener added and new repro decals. Then tested on stand and in a tank with a test wheel.

I typically get upper range $ on them...maybe 2000-2500. I did 2 v6's and I got 3.5k each.

Owners messge me oftern saying how they are liking the motors. They look new and run really good.

It keeps me busy over the winter, and I do it mainly because I like to, and to help with my fuel and slip fee in the summer.

I feel the condition, history, documentation, pics and local face-to-face can justify the upper range vs what was described by the posters above.

Last edited:

ct1762@gmail.com

Yes very true. My grip is about the guys that say things like "88 SPL. ran great 2 season ago. $2500" haha. so many dreamers! Those v4's are so smooth... just picked up a blown 89' XP100 for $150... with controls! Gonna do it this winter. what kind of paint are you using? i've seen guys use Imron or Dupont... comes out looking like a gemstone.

CaptainRon16

Recruit
Bit of an old thread...But I might be the exception to the rule. I take in 2-3 motors per year. 90deg omc crossflows...88's, 90's,115's mostly, an occasional V6. I Have known these motors all my life.

Its a tad of a hobby. it started out by me wanting a "drop-on" spare for my fishing boat. I Spend the fall/winter and spring going completely thru each motor, saving every receipt, listing all parts, what was done and pictures. I put this info into a little binder for each motor, including a chart of DVA readings.

I do the block, bearings, everything. If it needs boring/pistons, I do it. If not, I dont...but all get an overhaul. Carbs, lower unit seals, all hoses...spec'd per OEM manual.

then Completely degreased, all sanded by hand and painted via a gun with hardener added and new repro decals. Then tested on stand and in a tank with a test wheel.

I typically get upper range $ on them...maybe 2000-2500. I did 2 v6's and I got 3.5k each.

Owners messge me oftern saying how they are liking the motors. They look new and run really good.

It keeps me busy over the winter, and I do it mainly because I like to, and to help with my fuel and slip fee in the summer.

I feel the condition, history, documentation, pics and local face-to-face can justify the upper range vs what was described by the posters above.

You're certainly the exception to the rule and it sounds like your motors deserve top dollar. keep up the great work!

cptbill

There's a bunch of people out there on c-list and other sites that advertise that they went through the motor and it's great but then when it's not what they said you can't find them again. I here lots of complaints about that, seems to me if you can't see, hear and test what your buying you probably shouldn't buy it. Kudo's to rothfm for being one of the good ones

ct1762@gmail.com

Agreed. When I sell motors, I remind everyone that mine are gone through 100% with a google spreadsheet of notes and exactly what was done, and remind people 99.9% of motors being sold will need work! If anyone needs a copy of the OMC service bulletin about painting motors, i can post it here. Tells you what to use and how to properly paint a motor to last.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Agreed. When I sell motors, I remind everyone that mine are gone through 100% with a google spreadsheet of notes and exactly what was done, and remind people 99.9% of motors being sold will need work! If anyone needs a copy of the OMC service bulletin about painting motors, i can post it here. Tells you what to use and how to properly paint a motor to last.

Really 99.9% of all motors sold need work???? How do you know that ,have you bought 99.9% of all motors??? Unless that motor is test driven or has a warranty it is just another motor being sold. I have never seen a crossflow block that did not need to be rebored. Honestly I have seen where people just throw another set of .030 pistons into an old bore. Then say it did not need to be bored especially true of the crossflows. For anyone buying an outboard you need to test drive that motor before you buy it. TEST DRIVE THE MOTOR PEOPLE. Doesn't matter who owned it, only exception is a written warranty clearly detailing what will be covered. A motor that can be test driven or has a warranty will command a higher price.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have had folks say----" The motor we got off you 15 years ago still runs fine "----Have some potential interest for motors for next spring already.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have had folks say----" The motor we got of you 15 years ago still runs fine "----Have some potential interest for motor for next spring already.

Does that make you feel just a little old? LOL

Last edited:

ct1762@gmail.com

Ha so i was exaggerating a tad about the 99.9% , but my point is people seem to not realize a clean motor can run worse than a rough looking one... all depends on what's been done. I'd still say most need work without knowing it's history.