De-winterize questions 2020 Tracker Pro160 w/40hp Merc.

Bought a brand new boat last September and had a shop winterize it for me. First time for me to have a boat winterized.
Now I am ready to de-winterize and am wondering a few things. My tank had about 3 gals of gas in it at the time, I'm thinking
I should drain the tank and start with new fuel even though they used stabilizer in the old fuel. I assume they would fog the cylinders as part of winterizing and am wondering if that causes spark plug issues and therefore new plugs are a good idea?
Can I expect allot of smoke due to fogging oil burning off at start up?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Charge the battery, fill the tank and start it up. That's it. It may start with a little smoke, not for long.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Or consume most of the fuel in the tank if being a portable tank and avoid buying Stabil, whichever suits you best.

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Or consume most of the fuel in the tank if being a portable tank and avoid buying Stabil, whichever suits you best.

Happy Boating

With of my boats, the best I can do on a day's boating with our lifestyle is using 1/4 tank. I guess there really IS a downside to good fuel efficiency.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With of my boats, the best I can do on a day's boating with our lifestyle is using 1/4 tank. I guess there really IS a downside to good fuel efficiency.

I usually go boating with a full 3 Gal portable tank, which is nearly consumed through the boating day, like to burn fresh fuel only. Next day boating is done the same That's the good thing about boating with just a 18 HP and 2 up most of the days.. The motor won't care at all if running a full, 1/2 or 1/4 tank. What really matters is how heavy you have your hand on the throttle..

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I follow the normally recommended 1/3 rule. Thus, I can never run a tank almost empty.

I also live in an area where Fall storms may come with no warning. Thus, I start with the Stabil in every tank about September. I also fillerup AFTER my boating excursion, so when I'm ready to go my tanks are full. Nothing worse than being prepared and wanting to go for a boatride in October, only to find that there's snow on the launch ramp and your boat's gas tank (and the whole fuel system) is not prepared for a long cold winter.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
As I already know my fuel consumption while motor runs at 3/4 throttle, 3 gallons will be enough for boating short to medium long distances, will carry extra fuel in jerry cans if need to boat to further distances than stated, always accompanied by at least one other boat for both to go and return safely to terra firme.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rear Seat Locker.JPG Views:	1 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	10846020

The best fuel consumption efficiency is achieved when propping any motor right to run to their max wot rpm range factory stated while boating with a Fixed Load, once there can throttle 1/2 to 3/4 position at whichever rpm is dialed while the boat rides at perfect smooth plane with motor roaring happily. A marine motor consumes 2 to 3 times more fuel amount compared to same distance traveled in a city by a car, hull drag is a terrible fuel consumption serial killer.
l
Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
As I already know my fuel consumption while motor runs at 3/4 throttle, 3 gallons will be enough for boating short to medium long distances, will carry extra fuel in jerry cans if need to boat to further distances than stated, always accompanied by at least one other boat for both to go and return safely to terra firme.

The best fuel consumption efficiency is achieved when propping any motor right to run to their max wot rpm range factory stated while boating with a Fixed Load, once there can throttle 1/2 to 3/4 position at whichever rpm is dialed while the boat rides at perfect smooth plane with motor roaring happily. A marine motor consumes 2 to 3 times more fuel amount compared to same distance traveled in a city by a car, hull drag is a terrible fuel consumption serial killer.
l
Happy Boating

I hope your little box of goodies (a cooler maybe?) is vented. Storing a gas can in an enclosed space would get your Safety Sticker denied in the USA.

In the olden days, every OB motor Owner's manual I ever read talked about the "cruise throttle". Nobody used tachs in those days, and most regular fisherguys didn't care about "performance". Boating was the way to decompress after a week's work.

Basically, what you did was go WOT, and then slowly reduce the throttle until you felt and heard a slight reduction in the whine of the engine. At that point you only reduced your speed a little bit, but your fuel consumption went down a lot.

Today I run by rpms because I have a performance curve for my daily drivers. But if I'm out in my little tinny with the classic 9.5 I just "listen". BTW, that's the only boat I run with only a single six gallener.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The goodies box corresponds to the cushioned rear seat locker I sit on for comfy tiller driving, has air vent holes drilled at front and rear of locker, there's a forced ventilation going at neutral which is increased as the speed ups.

My motor runs 5,800/6,000K at full throttle depending if running on flat or slight choppy water cond. if fast back the throttle from full grip to 3/4, the extreme high rpm heard will be reduced instantly to around 4,300 rpm which is sweet rpm music, although the top speed will decrease form 41 Km/H to 30 Km/H is the best cruise range with best fuel consumption for all day boating while maintaining nice plane.

If didn't count with an installed tach next to the tiller grip anyone hearing that high rpm would assume that the motor will blow up shortly but have not done so to date. As long the motor runs to its max wot rpm range or 5% slight over, nothing to worry about.

Compared to the good old boating days, there's been a immeasurable amount of gained "Performance" due to the availability of higher HP motor brands, tachs, prop options along better boat/motor rigging than before.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - You've been blown off course. Dewinterizing an outboard is the subject.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Guys - You've been blown off course. Dewinterizing an outboard is the subject.

Yes, deeply sorry, my apologis for that. If you check most post will read that have deviated at some time off course from the orginal post or plagged with hateful comparisons answers which has nothing to do with the OP's topic. Guess it's the spirit of the forums LOL!!

Happy Boating