Best motor for a 2016 Lund SSV-14

dlptoo

Recruit
Hi! I'm a first-time boat buyer and am looking at a 2016 Lund SSV-14. Besides fishing, I want to tour various lakes/rivers in Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana and be able to do so at a decent speed when traveling multiple miles.

Not knowing much about motors, I'm wondering what size I'd need on an SSV-14 to be able to go 20 mph or so. Usually, it would be just my wife and me, but sometimes there could be a third person.

I've been looking at a 2016 SSV-14 with a 6 hp 4-stroke Suzuki motor; but with my limited knowledge, I assume that would basically be a good trolling motor but not a "get around the lake in a decent time" motor. Is this correct?

What would be a good sized motor to go 20 mph or so with 2 or 3 people?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Don

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I believe you have a 30 hp max on that boat. I would recomend a minimum of 20 hp for what you want to do. BUT I would buy the biggest motor I could afford. Because if you dont like the power of a smaller motor it will cost more to upgrade, than it would buying the bigger motor right away.

As to which motor is best your area dealers will determine that. Price ,warranty,ergonomics and a good helpful dealer are all musts.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Considering WA, MT, and ID, I suggest you go with a new or newer efi motor to get the most power at altitude without having to worry about carb jets.
Also, you lose power at altitude, so get as much hp as you can. 25 - 30 would be good.
Stick with a major brand with service in your location.
Suzuki, Evinrude, Merc, Tohatsu

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We used to own almost the exact same model. A 6 HP would be just about useless. For trolling, a 3 HP would be ideal.

For general cruising, we used a 25 HP 2-stroke. With 2 people aboard it would do about 23 MPH.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If a 30 HP motor is the max rated for go for it, other excellent alternative would be a 25 HP one. In both cases prop them right to run towards their max stated wot rpm range. With a third boater up, motors should rev around their middle wot rpm range which is excellent. Will need to install an induction tach in order to play safely with less prop pitches..

Happy Boating

Nytebyte

Cadet
I have the same Lund and put a 2018 efi Tahatsu 20 hp on it. Does 23 mph by gps with me at 250 and a 95# lab.

fishrdan

Admiral
Quick check on Lund's site says 30HP. General rule of thumb is 2/3 the hull HP rating, so 20HP minimum.

If going up in altitude, the OB will lose 3%HP/1000'. So at 9000' a 30HP OB will perform like 20HP... (My jon boat rips as 1000', but taking it up to 9000', it's a dog.)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Quick check on Lund's site says 30HP. If going up in altitude, the OB will lose 3%HP/1000'. (My jon boat rips as 1000', but taking it up to 9000', it's a dog.)

For high altitude boating need to install at lest 2 less pitch prop from current one for combo to perform much better..

Happy Boating

dlptoo

Recruit
Thanks for all the help! After comparing boat prices around here and how much I'd have to pay for a better motor, I've decided to build a Spira Robalo Junior Panga (https://spirainternational.com/hp_roba.php). Perhaps I'm crazy. We'll see.

Anyway, I'll need a motor for it and was thinking of the same size as for the Lund, so your help above will still be valuable and is much appreciated.

Thanks, again!

Don

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for all the help! After comparing boat prices around here and how much I'd have to pay for a better motor, I've decided to build a Spira Robalo Junior Panga (https://spirainternational.com/hp_roba.php). Perhaps I'm crazy. We'll see.

Anyway, I'll need a motor for it and was thinking of the same size as for the Lund, so your help above will still be valuable and is much appreciated.

Thanks, again!

Don

Looks like a nice boat. When I built my first boat it certainly was a labor of love. Better plan on a couple of years to get it done. I hope you have some carpentry experience or have a helper that does, plus a large indoor place to do the work.

You might also want to google Clark Craft and Glen-L. They both sell boat building plans, so you'll have a choice of a variety of other designs. The advantage of these companies is that they sell full size patterns. Sometimes scaling up to full size from a 24" piece of paper can be a daunting task. Both companies also sell boat building materials.

Good luck and take lots of pictures and keep us posted on your progress.

19.jpg

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

dlptoo

Recruit
Wow, beautiful boat! Yea, I've been building other things for decades, but never a boat. Should be interesting. :) I did look at the offerings from Glen-L, Clark Craft, Bateau/Boat Builder Central, and several other plan providers. I kept coming back to the Robalo based on fitting my needs and skills and the probable overall cost.

I will post pictures along the way and, I'm sure, ask lots of questions.

By the way, how far apart did you place the screws in your hull? What type of screws did you use: stainless steel, bronze, or something else?How did you finish the interior: epoxy and then paint, or did you fiberglass the interior too?

Thanks!

Don

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Wow, beautiful boat! Yea, I've been building other things for decades, but never a boat. Should be interesting. :) I did look at the offerings from Glen-L, Clark Craft, Bateau/Boat Builder Central, and several other plan providers. I kept coming back to the Robalo based on fitting my needs and skills and the probable overall cost.

I will post pictures along the way and, I'm sure, ask lots of questions.

By the way, how far apart did you place the screws in your hull? What type of screws did you use: stainless steel, bronze, or something else?How did you finish the interior: epoxy and then paint, or did you fiberglass the interior too?

Thanks!

Don

All screws were silicon bronze, spaced 4". All seams were sealed with 5200. Inside and out were painted with marine grade alkyd enamel, except the bottom which was copper bronze anti-fouling. It was a trailer boat so no need to go overboard (no pun intended), plus back in 1968 the technology wasn't on par with what we have today.