multiple tell-tales

Jachin

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '85 Evinrude 115 (E115TLCO) which has a tell-tale on both sides (starboard & port), but the port outlet didn't pee. While I was investigating I noticed that the outlet on that side was a bent piece of copper tubing that crimped when bent and was not allowing water flow. I replaced the crimped copper with a free flowing elbow but have since been educated that this tell-tale is just for observation purposes and is not an intentional circulatory system outlet - in other words, not essential. I'm thinking the previous owner may have intentionally blocked it to preserve water in the cooling jacket. Would I be better off going back to one tell-tale?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
My guess is that it was for a water pressure gauge.-----And the water that comes out of the starboard tell tale is also for " observation purpose " as well.----This telltale water ( starboard ) does NOT go through the engine to cool the motor !!----Review your information and sources.

Jachin

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. Is there any benefit to removing it? Even though it is not cooling water, is it depriving the engine of circulatory water?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Maybe the engine, was at one time on a boat where the Helm was on the Port side, and the second tel-tale was added so the discharge was easier to see from that location. While in theory these indicators do reduce the volume of water available for cooling, the water pump is capable of supplying more than enough water

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Basically it is the same pump as a V-6 motor so yes it is capable of pumping plenty of water !

thatone123

Banned
The outboards are designed to over pump water so that there is more than enough for proper cooling under many circumstances. Telltales do get a warm/hot waterflow at times so must be designed for that. Especially if there is a blockage somewhere. A little known hack/trick is to carry a burlap bag. If motor is overheating, this bag can get you back to the dock. Wet the bag and drape it over the cowling and make sure you cover any air intakes. The wet burlap acts as a radiator of sorts that draws hot air off the engine. Similar process as a refrigerator or air-conditioner. I've seen this used on the Big Rivers of the North and in Asia

Jachin

Seaman Apprentice
Interesting. I'll add that to my emergency measures list. Thanks.

matt167

Captain
the theory is sound, sort of.. Radiator water bags were sold into the 60's for cars running through the desert. Hang them full of water on the ornament and through evaporation cooling, the system could keep the engine cooler. But on a hot day in a humid environment, not sure it would do a thing..

But also for an outboard to actually overheat, wouldn't the water temp have to be over 212*F?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I know you can use a wet sock to cool a warm beer in a breeze.-----But the BTU / gallon of gasoline is around 115,000 and I do not beieve a bit of cooler air will do anything to keep a 115 HP motor from overheating.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's not same the temperature under the cowl, than the temp on the block specially if motor is overheating, worse if severely. so that method won't work at all. OTOH cars uses the green stuff for cooling, outboards motors doesn't at the moment..

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Radiator bags had nothing to do with cooling the motor.

More important - What do wet burlap bags and radiator bags and two tell-tells have in common? Not one thing. Please try to stay on topic to help the OP.