Weight of a 82 200Hp evinrude?

Truckguy701

Cadet
Well that isn’t as bad as I thought, google was failing me. Any clue on the force weight? It is about to find a new home

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I own more than a few V-6 Evinrudes---No Force motors at this time and I don't expect to get any.

Truckguy701

Cadet
Well the Force came attached to a really nice capri in great shape for the right price but has issues. I would rather just swap to a Evinrude before dropping money into a motor with a bad rap. Don’t really need the extra 50hp but for free the 200hp sounds like a deal

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would do a lot of testing / inspection on a " free " motor before doing all the work of installing it.

Truckguy701

Cadet
Of course, it comes with a back story of it was repaired ready to go and a customer couldn’t pay the bill so it was repo’d. Probably been sitting for years so I will toss it on a stand. Rebuild carbs and test run it. Don’t mind gambling a lil on a free motor.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Google tells me the Force weighs less than the Evinrude.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It was posted on this very website some time ago.----It stated that force 150 was about 336 lbs.

Truckguy701

Cadet
Well just picked up the boat in October so it wasn’t me. The owner I bought from said the hell with it and bought a new boat. Thanks for the info that isn’t much difference and the force looks a lil under powered for the size of boat.

Truckguy701

Cadet
Probably should start a different thread but I will ask here. If I am swapping motors is it worth cutting a 1/4” aluminum plate to sandwich between motor and trasom and toss a few extra bolts to spread the stress. I know they sold 175hp motors on them I would hate to rip open the fiberglass adding a extra 25 HP

GA_Boater

It sounds like you bought a project with a rotted transom if you want to add a plate. Better start resto thread.

GA_Boater

Are you sure about the model? Bayliner specs for a 1992 2050 says it's an I/O, not outboard.

A model 2000 is maxed at 150 HP. You want to over power by a third.

Truckguy701

Cadet
Well was listed as a 2050LS, never bothered to actually look at the boat for a serial number plate. It has a 92 motor on it for sure and is a 150 hp. 20 foot haul and 88 inch beam. To be fair at my elevation I have a 10 percent power loss off of a perfect running motor. A clapped out 82 outboard would probably be lucky to see much more that 150hp. I will run it at 800 feet elevation one week a year so that is a gamble there. My concern mainly was not the extra power was more I didn’t wanna strap a extra 200 pounds of weight on the back of the boat

racerone

Supreme Mariner
800 foot elevation matters not and is not a 10% loss of power.-----Unless you meant 8000 foot elevation.----The 82 model 200 HP was not propshaft rated.-----Many older fiberglass boat have issues inside the transom that are not visible.----I have seen many boats with plates on the outside of the transom.----Scary stuff as most boats sink quickly when the transom falls off.----There are few build standards / safety checks on boats.----You take your kids out on that junk ??

Truckguy701

Cadet
Well all my local lakes are at 5000 feet minimum. Which is a 10 percent power loss on combustion motors.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those extra Holes will weaken the Transom slightly, as well a provide an Extra Entry Point for Water. Transoms, if properly engineered and constructed, are very Strong and will handle any HP and Weight of Engine within the Rated Capacity. If the Core is rotted, any Plate(s) will just Relocate the Stress, and will provide a Failure Point, a Straight Edge, for a future Shear