Why are Skeg guards so expensive?

The Force power

Commander
I now I know it does very little; other than protecting the propeller "to a point"

I'm missing a chunk of the Skeg on a 90 hp Force, this it self does not bother me but to make it look better.
I started looking into these gadgets and was blown away on the cost!!!

I understand it's a quick-fix and can be done by any handy man V.S. getting it welded by a professional that cost $$$
But what I don't understand is why nobody had undercut that market?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A skeg guard is attached to a skeg which is part of a motor attached to a boat which is attached to your wallet.

Go ahead and try starting a skeg guard business undercutting the existing market. :lol:

The Force power

Commander
A skeg guard is attached to a skeg which is part of a motor attached to a boat which is attached to your wallet.

Go ahead and try starting a skeg guard business undercutting the existing market. :lol:

GA BOATER your absolutely right every thing in boating is expensive!

MOD EDIT - Please read OUR rules!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FYI - having a skeg welded on is about $50 (including them painting it)

a skeg guard is $65 here on iBoats....

to me its a no-brainer

The Force power

Commander
Skeg Guards and Fins for the AV Plate are great Dumpster Fill

A Skeg guard gets hit hard enough would still do damaged to the actual skeg, I would imagine.

I going to look around at work to see if I can "fabricate" something (as a challenge of course)

thatone123

Banned
I've said this to so many people. Want to make some BIG money? Produce a skeg guard/replacement for portable outboards because there are none for sale in US. Only huge ones for over 50 hp. Aussies make them but the shipping is more than the product.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take the portable outboard to have the skeg welded. its a $30 fix because the motor will sit on the tig table

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Extruding would be a little hard to make a "arrow" shaped piece.

thatone123

Banned
Who wants to bother taking the motor to a welder if you could drill 2 holes and put on a plastic or stainless steel prop guard for the same money. I'd even be willing to pay more to get a guard with less time and hassle.

The Force power

Commander
A welded on replacement will be stronger than a skeg-guard / cover-up that essentially is just a bolted-on piece of metal skin wrap.

hey it's a free country to each their own

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When folks are willing to pay more for water than gasoline you can market a " skeg guard "------As granpa asked one time -----" you paid for water and you paid for a dog "

The Force power

Commander
When folks are willing to pay more for water than gasoline you can market a " skeg guard "------As granpa asked one time -----" you paid for water and you paid for a dog "

Haha, "some" people here already are willing to pay more for water than gasoline;:der:
less then 1/2 liter bottle water at corner store $1 to $1.25
Gasoline $1.25 a liter

I don't understand; " you paid for water and you paid for a dog" :confused: