No announcement yet.

Why are Skeg guards so expensive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A welded on replacement will be stronger than a skeg-guard / cover-up that essentially is just a bolted-on piece of metal skin wrap.

hey it's a free country to each their own
    "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

[QUOTE=GA_Boater;n10812655]A skeg guard is attached to a skeg which is part of a motor attached to a boat which is attached to your wallet.......

DAMN! That's the BEST explanation I ever heard! and I've been boating for over 20 years. 😏

Comment

When folks are willing to pay more for water than gasoline you can market a " skeg guard "------As granpa asked one time -----" you paid for water and you paid for a dog "

Comment

Originally posted by racerone View Post
          When folks are willing to pay more for water than gasoline you can market a " skeg guard "------As granpa asked one time -----" you paid for water and you paid for a dog "
          Haha, "some" people here already are willing to pay more for water than gasoline;
          less then 1/2 liter bottle water at corner store $1 to $1.25
          Gasoline $1.25 a liter

I don't understand; " you paid for water and you paid for a dog"
          "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

[QUOTE=Sea Eagle Mark;n10818227]
            Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post
            A skeg guard is attached to a skeg which is part of a motor attached to a boat which is attached to your wallet.......

DAMN! That's the BEST explanation I ever heard! and I've been boating for over 20 years. 😏
            B.O.A.T. = break out another thousand

Comment

Make a million...design and sell a skeg guard for small outboards as there are none in the US... Australia has some but the shipping is more than the price. Takes time and hassle to pay for welding.

Comment

Don't know how you look;

https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=skeg+guards
                BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Small means under 20 hp

Comment

ROCK HOPPER MOTOR GUARD is for 10-30 hp motors.

And Mac's River Runner makes models that fit 3 hp on up.

They are more than a skeg, and cost more too.
                    Medford, WI

Comment

I will check them out...

Comment

OK, as so often happens in outboards, ie, Stator plate, Timing plate, trigger, exciter coil, charging coil, and about a dozen other terms for what is under the flywheel, mostly for the same electronic components, we are not using the right term I guess. IT would not be a skeg guard or prop guard as many companies make those. The correct term would be replacement skeg. (for portable outboards) I have only found one maker in Australia, none in the US. IF I am wrong, let me know before I start a business that would make HUGE dough, if I am right.

Comment

You are overly optimistic. If there was a market, those that make replacement skegs which are called skeg guards, would be making them for outboards under 40 HP.
                          BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                          That is what the forums are for.
                          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                          X