Does my 1995 Johnson 88 SPL require oil to gas mixture?

Mattcaaron

Recruit
just bought a Wahoo with a 1995 Johnson 88 SPL. This is my first boat and I have no idea what I’m doing (hence the beater). I’ve looked up every combination or words to ask this question via google and can’t find an answer.

-Does my 1995 Johnson 88 require an oil mixture in fuel? (Previous owner said no, but I don’t think he ever added fuel/There was a huge language barrier)
-if so, what is the best oil to get to add to the fuel, or does it matter?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Is there an oil tank in the boat with a hose running to the motor? Do not mistake the fuel tank for the oil tank. The fuel tank is red and the oil tank is a square white plastic. If not the fuel mix is 50-1 using tcw-3 oil for 2 strk motors.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The concept of the " special " models was no automatic oil injection.-----So you have to mix at 50:1 on those.------If previous owner had no idea then perhaps a compression test is the next thing to do !!.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
A 1995 Johnson 88 SPL is a two stroke motor. Being it's a two stroke, it does indeed required a fuel/oil mix. Some two strokes had a small oil tank mounted directly on the engine block or mounted remotely with a line going to the engine. Your 88 SPL is NOT an oil injected engine so oil must be mixed with the fuel. Any good quality two-stroke OUTBOARD oil will be fine mixing at a 50:1 rate (1 pint in six gallons of fuel). Your engine is water cooled so DO NOT use two stroke oil intended for AIR COOLED engine. A TCW-3 label on the container is what you look for.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
If the previous owner did not add oil to the fuel and it's a 1995 that motor has done very well to last this long,
maybe the PO didn't have it all that long....

but do a compression test anyway

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
This is my first boat and I have no idea what I’m doing

I was also in your position at one time in my life. First of all, take a boater safety course and then get an owners manual for the engine.

Manuals are often available online. Also, go to the library and do a lot of reading. In the end you'll be better prepared.