Ethanol-free Fuel question

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally have a new gas station just down the road that offers ethanol-free fuel. It’s a bit more per gallon, but I’ve always wanted to run ethanol-free in my 96 Evinrude. I currently use Gas-Shok fuel treatment from USA Fuel Service as that’s the best stuff Ive seen for helping to combat water in gasoline and stabilize and keep fuel fresh longer. My question is if you guys who use ethanol-free fuel also use any kind of additive as well or if it’s even necessary. I usually don’t let fuel sit in the tank for more than a few weeks at a time without running it off on a trip.

alldodge

Staff member
My question is if you guys who use ethanol-free fuel also use any kind of additive as well or if it’s even necessary.

I don't use any stabil anything with E0 gas

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont use anything. keep the fuel fresh and go boating often

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I currently use Gas-Shok fuel treatment from USA Fuel Service as that’s the best stuff Ive seen for helping to combat water in gasoline and stabilize and keep fuel fresh longer.
interesting product.

No MSDS and not registered with the EPA under that name. The true definition of snake oil.

Really interested in how it combats water in fuel since nothing short of distillation or using alcohol as a carrier will remove moisture from fuel

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you have a little water in your gas and you use E0 and you don't have a fuel separator, you'll be screwed. If you have a little water in your tank and use E-10 the water will be absorbed and pass thru the system. If you have a lot of water in your tank, you're screwed no matter what you do.

If you use E0 and add some snake oil to absorb the water, you might as well use E10 because the snake oil is just alcohol.

In the olden days everybody used "dry gas" in the winter because of the potential for condensation. Dry Gas is alcohol. Ethanol gas virtually put that industry out of business.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you get water in your fuel tank, it settles to the bottom. Doesn't matter if its a boat, an auto or a freeking grass cutter. Since the fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank, the carburetor (or whatever fuel system you have) will pick up the water and your engine will sputter and go pftttttt. Engines like to run on gasoline, not water (or diesel if you are of that persuasion).

When said "screwed" I meant you will have engine problems if there is water in the gas. I know "screwed" could mean a lot of things, but my meaning was quite simple.

I thought everybody knew that you shouldn't put water in the gas.

alldodge

Staff member
ok, if there was a little bit of water which went into the fuel system (carb, efi) it would spit, spudder maybe even die. A little cranking the water would be gone and your running again. Every time a little bit of water that made its way in, similar issue.

Have yet to see any fuel injected engine without a separator

In any case, all good, just differences of opinion