Hertz fonction on multimeter

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I made this device for testing voltage on outboard ignition system.

Like in this vidéo ( in french) , i can mesure whit my DVA the stator , triggers and Switchbox voltage on my driveway or on the lake. This is for troubleshooting purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=37&v=BErZyDhmjzo

Do you think i can use the htz fonction on my multimeter, to compare the reading of the different cylinders in the coils primaries ?

Whit my DVA i can mesure the voltage at the primary of each coil , , but i also whant to compare the number of ignition in the primary of each coi, l to ensure they receive the same a their primaries…..

In the vieo, as you can see the no 2 clylinder receive less voltage than the 2 others, but i whant to mesure the number of ignition for each, like an tachometer

Sorry for the bad English , i tri to explain the best i can …...

Last edited by a moderator:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You can measure the worth of the primary and secondary coil with the ohms setting. If that’s what you mean.

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ohms is a resistance test , static….i whant a Dynamic test to compare the number of impulsion the switch box send to each coil when the engine running…

I tried yesterday the Hertz position of my multimeter , and that work. Just to remove mi DVA adaptor and plus my meter directly. one hertz is = to 60 rpm

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ohms is a resistance test , static….i whant a Dynamic test to compare the number of impulsion the switch box send to each coil when the engine running…

I tried yesterday the Hertz position of my multimeter , and that work. Just to remove mi DVA adaptor and plus my meter directly. one hertz is = to 60 rpm

About the Hz...not sure that’s a definitive rule for all really.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In North America your household electrical supply is 60 hertz.-----Or 60 cycles / second.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
In North America your household electrical supply is 60 hertz.-----Or 60 cycles / second.

Very true racerone.... Not sure how the fella above relates that to rpm across the spectrum though ?
50 hz here in the U.K., but doesn’t mean 1 hz is 50 rpm on my boat engine...haha.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don’t think frequency setting on a multimeter will read what you’re trying to read. If I’m understanding you, I think you want to connect a tachometer to each plug wire to see if they all read the same????? Maybe? These other guys may be able to answer if that would work or not.

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First your wright i made mistake when i say one hertz + 60 rpm i mean one hertz , but for what i'm trie to read the value is not very important, it just for comparing .

And is seem possible to convert Hertz to rpm but i agree i dont check that.

https://www.convertunits.com/from/RPM/to/hertz

Last edited:

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Youre wright M Primeaux, i whant to see if all cylinders reed the same. When i try whit a Tiny-Tach type tachometer, sometime the reading have tendency to be afecting by the next cylinder (s) .

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Youre wright M Primeaux, i whant to see if all cylinders reed the same. When i try whit a Tiny-Tach type tachometer, sometime the reading have tendency to be afecting by the next cylinder (s) .

Hi there.

where have you got the tiny tach wires attached ?
I had a similar issue on the old jet ski. Very sensitive to where the wires are coiled. Different locations too, depending on 4 stroke or 2 stroke and the location of any coil or coil packs. Can be a bugger to set up but very accurate once done. Is there a earth wire off it too or just the pick up wire ?

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For shop use, now i solved the problem by adding an old inductive clamp (from an old timing-lite) to my Tiny-Tack.

My Tiny-Tack dont have a earth wire, just the pick-up wire.