Engine move from 1990's to 2000's???

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Grandkids are getting to the age where they want to go tubing. My 1991 20' pontoon with same year 40 Johnson just doesn't have enough power. So ... I found a few newer (for me) pontoons but I'm leary of the motors. 2007 Mercury 90hp 2 stroke and 2005 Evinrude 90 2 stroke. Can anyone tell me the reliability of these motors and if they are expensive to repair? Or should I stick with older outboards? In my search I've found MANY 200? pontoons which have been repowered with motors of the 80's and 90's. This leads me to believe the factory of that era may not be reliable????? Any advice would be welcome ... THANKS

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Most pontoon repowers tend to be in search of more power/speed, just as you are.

Occasionally I run across someone repowering to get a 4 stroke, or to get cash out of a large motor they don't need, and put on a small motor to put around, usually on a hp restricted lake.

The only motors from 2000 on, that I would avoid, are Ficht motors.
And I've never really been a fan of OptiMax motors.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
In my opinion, a pontoon is just for relaxing and cruising around. If you need to go faster, get a boat that suits your needs.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The new " highly technical " motors require expensive dealer support / parts should anything go wrong.-----They run very nice and that comes at a cost.----Just my opinion.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
A 90hp motor is just fine for tubing, but what is the next step after that? Skiing, wakeboarding, knee boarding, etc. If tubing is all that is desired, a 90hp is just fine. Any step up in watersports will require, in my opinion, at least a 150 on a pontoon, less on a bowrider or deck boat.

I don't agree with the previous assertion that pontoons are just for cruising. While that used to be the case, the recent designs of pontoons have allowed them to speed up and tow for fun. Tow competitively, not even close. But they have no problem towing for leisure.

You didn't mention if you lived on a lake or tow the boat. If you live on a lake, common practice on my lake is either:
- Pontoon (preferrably with lifting strakes on them) with a 150 or higher for watersports and cruising
- Basic pontoon for putting around and an 18' bowrider for sports (used ones in decent shape can be had for a decent price)

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the responses. Boat stays at the dock thru summer. Unfortunately we are on low water so can't lift my toon out of the water. Tubing would be all for at least the next 5 years. We spend 90% of our time fishing from it.

Racerone - The new " highly technical " motors require expensive dealer support / parts should anything go wrong.-----They run very nice and that comes at a cost.----Just my opinion. Sooooooo would 2005 and 2007 be considered "New" or "Newer"?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Had a call 3 years ago from someone with a 2008 model 115 HP OPTIMAX.--------Needed rebuilding.------Party said he had been quoted $3000 to $8000 to rebuild it.-----And he said he had not found anyone who was " enthusiastic " about taking on the job.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Racerone ..... thats kinda paints the picture for me. My 1991 OMC has run great for 7 years. Just some minor repairs which has been done by me or my lake mechanic whos literally just around the corner. I think I might look for something mid 1990s or older! There are lots out there that have seen very few hours. Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sooooooo would 2005 and 2007 be considered "New" or "Newer"?

That really depends on the motor.
There were still new carbureted 2 cycle outboards being sold until stock ran out around 2010.
Then there are the 4 stroke carbed motors, and the efi 4 stroke motors that aren't too high tech.

Then on the other end, there are the 2 stroke DI direct injection motors like the Optimax, and the 4 stroke multi port injected, and even supercharged motors. Yes, they are putting blowers on outboards.