Which 4 stroke ?????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well, it may soon be time too replace my main motor, currently a 115 hp 2 stroke.

Considering a 4 stroke, 75 - 90 hp, 20" shaft..
Trying to put together a short list of
motors to consider when shopping over the coming months.

Used.

Not really worried about weight differences, the hull can handle it.

Totally in the dark as far as shared blocks/displacement, on these motors.

Carbed?
EFI?

Merc and Yamaha have best service coverage in my area.

SO, give me your favorite models and years to be searching for.

Any stinkers to definitely avoid ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the max HP motor and number of passengers that boat is rated for ? With how many souls on board do you usually go boating with as to pass from a 115 HP to a lower 75-90 HP motor ?

Happy Boating

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for responding.

The boat is rated for 115.
It had an old 1973 65 hp on it when I got it, and it performed ok with 3 adults.

Its and older 705 pound open aluminum fishing boat, way over rated in my opinion.
Rated for 6 people, but only has seating for 3.
Has a weight capacity of 1600#

We rarely run it over 25 mph.

75 hp should be plenty.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Well I am a 2strk guy so I would say a 75/90 hp E-tec would be nice and there are several for sale in WI. But if I had to go with a 4 strk it would be a Yamaha above all else. I have owned them and they are quality engines. I would also get an EFI model before a carb just for the running quality.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If plan boating constantly with a fixed load of 3 souls onboard a 75 HP will suffice, just prop the motor right to run to its full wot rpm range factory stated to achieve an excellent hole shot and good top end speed, once there throttle at the speed you feel most comfy with while om plane.

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have always been an Evinrude / Johnson guy and would never buy a Merc, but as times change and motors evolve I have changed with the times.

Just my opinion but EFI all the way. After sitting for 7 long Winter months I just turned the key and it roared to life in a second.

Also an opinion, but Merc all the way. The maintenance requirements are very low. Yamis need periodic valve adjustments, while Mercs do not.

And most of all (at least in my area) 10 Merc dealers to 1 Yami.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Yes, if I stay with a 2 stoke, it will be an E-tec.
But willing to look at the 4 stroke as an option.
Then of course, will have to find one, and within my budget.

Yammi valve adjustments huh?
I have valve adjustments.
Did plenty of those with my bike.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was wondering if there are outboard motors with Hydraulic Valves as found in cars ?

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
No hydraulic lifter in outboards...valve inspection/adjust varive per MFG but most are in the 300 Hr range or every 3 -4 years for average boater.