What Is It - Ted Williams 15?

Kennyjr1488

Recruit
I was hoping maybe one of you gentlemen could tell me if what I have here is a 15 horsepower Ted Williams I'll look into it on a 14 ft V bottom jon boat at a really good price. The motor looks like it's in excellent shape haven't really messed with it at all

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Those were not a bad motor when new, but are sort of a red headed step child. Eska made the 9.9 and 15 hp water cooled motors for only a couple years, so some parts are very hard to find. The breakerless ignition is prone to fail, and almost impossible to find parts for.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You probably know that the Ted Williams motors were sold by Sears, but made by Eska, Tecumseh, and I believe OMC made some.

I had an Eska and Tecumseh version in 5 and 7.5 HP. Both were 2 cycle single cylinder air cooled with water cooled exhaust. Pretty much lawnmower engines converted to OBs.

They worked OK for my little Jon boat. Actually the 7.5 HP was a bit too much for it. Not sure I would consider them to be high quality and certainly not high performance.

matt167

Captain
Sears Ted Williams branding went until the " Gamefisher " branding replaced it.. They were cheap but they worked. The 15hp is a Tech' powerhead. fuel, air compression and spark makes a runner. I don't think there is any adjustable timing on those, it's all done in the carb to make idle and acceleration. In the later years of the Gamefisher, they were Force motors

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
According to Hunn, the Ted Williams brand name started in the early 1960's with McCulloch engines. They basically replaced the Elgin marque of earlier years. Subsequently, Eska made some models, but they were all air cooled. When the TW brand ceased to exist, later models were simply named Sears.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was hoping maybe one of you gentlemen could tell me if what I have here is a 15 horsepower Ted Williams I'll look into it on a 14 ft V bottom jon boat at a really good price. The motor looks like it's in excellent shape haven't really messed with it at all

If its any help, I sold an Eska 9.9 last year for $400.00