looking at repower options

virii01

Seaman
The late 80s Mercury 135 black max gave up the ghost recently so I'm looking at my options for a repower and would appreciate any input.

The boat is a 2000 18ft fiberglass Smokercraft V180, 96" beam, dry weight of ~1300 with a max HP rating of 175.

With the old motor it would get on plane pretty quick and cruise WOT around 45mph.

The first option the dealer presented me with was a new 150 Merc 4 stroke for around 15k. yikes.
I know new motors are expensive, so I was hoping to find something used late model, lower hours, but I'm finding that the market for those is pretty much non-existent. There's one seller on ebay that seems to specialize in such a market but a quick google search shows multiple horror stories.

Another local dealer has a NIB two stroke 150 ProXS for around 10k. I'm liking that more but that's still a lot of money.

A third option I've been given is another dealer for a 150 Evinrude G2 for about 14k.

Finally, I could have my existing powerhead rebuilt, but I don't know how keen I am sinking what will still be a decent amount of money into such an old motor given that I plan to keep the boat for years to come.

I know all of the benefits of a four stroke, but I'm concerned that some aspects of performance will take a hit, namely hole shot even if I drop that amount on a 30 year newer motor. Am I way off base there?

Given the above options, would you rule any out immediately or seek out other options? Mercs are the prevalent option around here, with a few Evinrude and Yamaha dealers sprinkled in.

alldodge

Staff member
The OB guys should be along shortly, and you probably know this but
The 2 stroke weight is less the the 4 stroke, so need more power with a 4. As example: had a 115 HP seadoo 2 stroke, now a 4 stroke of 130 hp, and they both do about the same speed. The 4 stroke weight is more

The plus side is the 4 has better fuel economy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy a slightly used 150 merc, since you already are setup for a merc, most you should need is an adapter harness

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, you could get a mid-90s Merc V6 2 stroker for a few hundred, as no one wants them. That may be a bit too old for you, but there should be a price point on 90s and 2000s used 2 cycle motors that appeals to you.

The Merc design has not really changed much since your motor was made, as the V6 motors are all 60 degree, 2.0L / 2.4L or 2.5L blocks, depending on year and HP.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
New motors are expensive.----And the service work on them is EXPENSIVE.-----For occasional use the fuel money saved with 4 stroke will not pay off.----Find a good used older motor.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I know all of the benefits of a four stroke, but I'm concerned that some aspects of performance will take a hit, namely hole shot even if I drop that amount on a 30 year newer motor.
I've never seen a car dealer display quarter mile times on their cars as selling prints.....

The performance difference is for the most part hyperbole. It would take a stop watch to determine any difference in hole shot, if any.

I don't know a singe person that went 4 stroke that wishes they hadn’t. Most say they will never own another 2 stroke.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To be even comparing the agility of a 2 strokes motor against a 4 strokes one with equal HP, both will need to power same model boat and equal load and propped right for each one to run to their max wot rpm range factory stated. Which one should win during a hole shot test from a dead stop ? The one that revs faster to their max wot rpm range in less time.. Thoughts ?

Happy Boating