Do outboards like to be pinned?

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When taking off from a stand still or a slow idle, is it best to gradually push down on the throttle until you get up on plane or is it best to just go ahead an pin it and accelerate as fast as possible? Or does it not matter one way or the other?

Part 2 to the question...once up on plane, run it at WOT or back it off a bit?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It depends on what you are doing, I have done both, pin it down and jump out, most of the time, I just gradually run up to full plane and I normally run at about 80% or WOT, which is where my set up seems to get the best fuel economy.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A lot depends on the boat / load / prop that is installed..-----But in general a 2 stroke does not mind full throttle operation.-----But you save a lot of fuel running at around 3500 / 4000 RPM.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If I’m alone I pin it and leave it there.

If the wife is in the boat and I get too sporty she will likely wind up on the floor.

So depending on my mood I may or may not pin it with her on board.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the boat and motor are rigged right, the motor wont care

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If motor revs to its full wot rpm range as loaded, with deck weight evenly distibuted and well trimmed won't need to go full hammer down, 1/2 to 3/4 will suffice, once on plane reduce rpm till motor runs smooth and boat doesn't go off-plane for best fuel comsumption. Will be good to tach your motor and current load to see if motors runs at least middle to max wot rpm range.

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I read engine performance reports on various web sites to determine optimum cruising speed (best economy). Then, I run my own performance curve with a tach and GPS speedometer to see how my own particular situation fits on the curve. From that I set my own optimum rpm.

I'm out to have a fun time and go for a boatride. No need to waste valuable fuel. Besides, cruising speed is usually the most comfortable in congested water with a lot of waves.

When leaving a no-wake zone, sometimes I accelerate quickly, sometimes I just accelerate slowly. The engine doesn't care, Its just how much fuel you want to waste, or how cool you want to look.

Now, if a massive thunderstorm is approaching, or if ISIS ships are approaching, I pin the throttle. Otherwise, there is really no need to run at WOT.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
In general, motors don't like to be lugged (low speed, heavy load). Getting on plane is probably the heaviest load you'll put on the motor so I open it quickly to get the RPMs up for max horsepower. Once up on plane it's not working nearly as hard; I prefer to back it off a bit for better fuel economy and less noise.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have gone for over an hour with my leg on the throttle while sitting on the seat back.

Did this with a Mercurys, Johnsons, yamahas, Mercruisers, Volvos, and OMCs