So those hydrofoil thingies........Just bolt it on or try to fine tune it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Again, why would the MFG add this without knowing the specific application? Its like saying that all cars should have rear wings and front spoilers due to the fact that dragsters have them and they are useful in that application, is it not?

A 17' boat with a 150 on it speaks volumes about whomever put that hot mess together and mentioning it had a foil on it helps your argument none as the whole works was cobbled together.

I do find it humorous that everyone who claims they are worthless or worse keeps the many many ones they have taken off.

Everyone keeps them for what?

As I mentioned. They are only put on usually to try andoffset something that isn’t right in the first place. As in the boat is underpowered or the set up is wrong. I’m sure I’ve already mentioned this. The extreme case was with the 17ft and 150. This would be because some idiot said it would be useful. Think I said this too.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I feel the "Consensus" is a big part if the main argument against.

Seems to be a bit of an echo chamber effect going, which is sad really because people should be helping others with less knowledge rather than stroking their own egos.

I made some adjustments since last time out and Ill report back with the outcome.

The consensus is only on this forum. After having extreme success for 30 years I didn't know they were worthless until I read the responses here.

If the inventor was here touting their performance that would be ego.

This forum is meant to help others. As such we are only required to report our results. Als I know is that I will probably never own a boat without one. But then again, my experience has guided me.

I don't demand that others follow my lead. I just report results.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The consensus is only on this forum. After having extreme success for 30 years I didn't know they were worthless until I read the responses here.

If the inventor was here touting their performance that would be ego.

This forum is meant to help others. As such we are only required to report our results. Als I know is that I will probably never own a boat without one. But then again, my experience has guided me.

I don't demand that others follow my lead. I just report results.

Same here.

The lake was rough as hell today but I did see some improvement near dark when things calmed down.

With both of us in the boat it was rock steady with no porpoising and the ride seemed smooth.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
At the time Mr. Doel Fin invented his, all boaters sat their motors on their boat's transom and voila you went boating. Curiously this same thing is going now a days. On this new boating era if you want to take the max out of your combo there's many more tech aspects to condider such as : motor/transom height optimizization, proper trim, correct deck weight distribution and the motherload of all, a spot on prop maximization for motor to run at their max wot revs as possible and get the combo out of the hole in less time and much faster.

How much water drag resiatance will a Doel Fin along AV plate achieve if doesn't ride parallel to water level when combo is on plane ? to quantify that under a practice experiment : Drive you car at least to 20 MPH, open window and pull your arm out, place hand parallel to the road, incline hand downwind, neutral and upwind, can you feel the wind resistance on your hand at both scenarios ? Now imagine multiplying that wind resistance by 1K times which is the water resistance compared to the air resistance.

Now imagine such escenario with a doel fin while running a under powered motor, badly trimmed and worstly propped tri combo.

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
At the time Mr. Doel Fin invented his, all boaters sat their motors on their boat's transom and voila you went boating. Curiously this same thing is going now a days. On this new boating era if you want to take the max out of your combo there's many more tech aspects to condider such as : motor/transom height optimizization, proper trim, correct deck weight distribution and the motherload of all, a spot on prop maximization for motor to run at their max wot revs as possible and get the combo out of the hole in less time and much faster.

How much water drag resiatance will a Doel Fin along AV plate achieve if doesn't ride parallel to water level when combo is on plane ? to quantify that under a practice experiment : Drive you car at least to 20 MPH, open window and pull your arm out, place hand parallel to the road, incline hand downwind, neutral and upwind, can you feel the wind resistance on your hand at both scenarios ? Now imagine multiplying that wind resistance by 1K times which is the water resistance compared to the air resistance.

Now imagine such escenario with a doel fin while running a under powered motor, badly trimmed and worstly propped tri combo.

Happy Boating

Here, here. Well said.

Each to their own really but having previously being guilty of having a career as an MCA class 2 steam and motor, professional marine engineer and latterly studying naval arc and hydro dynamics...I’ll say again...these are only of use to those that are trying to combat an underlying issue. As in...underpowered or wrong set up with regards to hull to engine or engine height or similar. It’s just that simple.

tramsdell

Banned
My motor came with one, maybe i should unbolt that and give it a rip... maybe its doing something really bad back there.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Happy Boating

Why does everything need to be worst case scenario? Just make the picture complete by making this boater blind with a brain injury.:lol:

Some times people get things right even when they run evil looking boogeyman equipment.

Without all of the pounding I got a speed increase and a smooth ride for the $50 price tag.

Who in their right mind is going to turn their nose up at a $50 solution that might cost hundreds more to solve in whomevers preferred way?

Im sure I could add a couple hundred pounds to my boat to stop it from porpoising, but damn, that would slow me down.

I could get a jack plate and trim unit, but that would cost a fortune.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
How much water drag resiatance will a Doel Fin along AV plate achieve if doesn't ride parallel to water level when combo is on plane ?

Now you hit the nail on the head. That's why some people erroneously say that the fin reduces their top speed. The right prop, right height, yeah, yeah.

I just finned a brand new boat. Set up right - you bet. I also installed a Mercury Vessel View app. It gives me speed, fuel usage and economy, etc, etc, and if you press the right button when you punch it it'll even calculate your hole shot. Not guesses, but hard cold data numbers.

I did a before and after trial - twice. Up river and down. The fin gave a better hole shot, 10% higher miles per gallon at cruise and the top speed was exactly the same.

Guess where the fin is located?

Please all readers, don't buy a fin - you will be disappointed.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Now you hit the nail on the head. That's why some people erroneously say that the fin reduces their top speed. The right prop, right height, yeah, yeah.

I just finned a brand new boat. Set up right - you bet. I also installed a Mercury Vessel View app. It gives me speed, fuel usage and economy, etc, etc, and if you press the right button when you punch it it'll even calculate your hole shot. Not guesses, but hard cold data numbers.

I did a before and after trial - twice. Up river and down. The fin gave a better hole shot, 10% higher miles per gallon at cruise and the top speed was exactly the same.

Guess where the fin is located?

Please all readers, don't buy a fin - you will be disappointed.

Im wearing mine as a hat from now on, lest I do something wrong and open up some kind of wormhole in the space/time continuum.

Hell, who am I kidding, I never even take my boat out as it is impossible to back up a trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.