OMC auxiliary bracket

John Ramsey

Recruit
I recently purchased a boat it's a 17 foot bluefin it has a OMC auxiliary bracket on the back which held a 10 horsepower 2-stroke. I was wondering does anybody know the weight limit for this bracket it says 15 horsepower. The reason I ask is because all the reading I have done this is the best bracket around as far as lifting and putting in the water. I have a 20 horsepower motor that I wanted to attach to this bracket but if you think that's a bad idea I could buy a 20 horsepower bracket. It just seems like the OMC bracket is the better bracket but I'd like to know what you think.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
In my 51 years of running kickers on brackets, I have never found a better product than the OMC. Their specs are meant for a reason. Dump the 20 and replace it with a late model 9.9. You won't be sorry, but you will if you hang the 20 on it.

Also, be advised that they haven't made this product in 20+ years, and if your old one has seen some heavy use, the bushings may be worn, and may not be safe for even a 15. The usable life is about 25 years. The competitive products aren't good even when new.