8 HP Kicker Dripping Sludge

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After trolling for several hours the other night i noticed that there was a puddle of oily sludge underneath the motor. I checked the gear oil and it's still clear so is this sludge just unburned 2-stroke oil dripping out of the exhaust?

Motor is a '98 8 HP 2 stroke Nissan.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Yes. Run the motor at near WOT for 15 minutes or so and it should blow out all the sludge.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
2 strokes motors doesn't like to troll for prolonged time periods. Besides having sludge issues afterwords will eventually foul plugs during prolonged operation. Yep, run the motor full throttle as if stealing the combo when returning to Terra Firme.

Happy Boating

Fishb8t

Cadet
I have a bunch of this same sludge, I cant really get in the area to clean it up, what is the best way to remove this sludge? can I use something to break the sludge up? its surrounding electrical wires and fuel lines.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have a bunch of this same sludge, I cant really get in the area to clean it up, what is the best way to remove this sludge? can I use something to break the sludge up? its surrounding electrical wires and fuel lines.

The sludge we are talking about is unburned 2-stroke oil due to incomplete combustion. Yours is a different problem and you need a mechanic to diagnose what is going wrong.

Fishb8t

Cadet
The sludge we are talking about is unburned 2-stroke oil due to incomplete combustion. Yours is a different problem and you need a mechanic to diagnose what is going wrong.

There is an oil tank right above the bilge pump, the oil tank from what I can tell was used for a motor that is no longer on the boat. I am guessing it had been leaking. I just bought the boat yesterday and brought it home, I'm sure it is not unburned from the current outboard motor.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
There is an oil tank right above the bilge pump, the oil tank from what I can tell was used for a motor that is no longer on the boat. I am guessing it had been leaking. I just bought the boat yesterday and brought it home, I'm sure it is not unburned from the current outboard motor.

Yes, that's what I just said.