GoldenJet 400 Outboard Motor

GoldenJet

Recruit
I recently became an owner of a GoldenJet 400 outboard motor. It’s a classic. I’m guessing it's a 4 hp from around the 1960’s. It has a swivel bracket for reverse with no neutral gear so it goes whenever the engine is running and wherever the prop is pointed. Top mounted gas tank. The label reads The Eska Company, Inc. Dubuque, Iowa. M#1144 / S#2266. I ran it last year and it did fine pushing a 12 foot Al boat loaded with camping gear. But it’s loud and puts out a lot of oil. From an environment stand point I can not use here, but it is too sweet an engine to toss. Anybody know of a good home for it?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: GoldenJet 400 Outboard Motor

Just for your info, it is a 1965 Model 4 HP. They show the fuel mix at 16:1, although it may be fine on 24:1 or even 32:1. I know nothing else about this motor or it's worth. You may want to stick it on E-Bay and see what happens. <br /><br />Just so you know, your post is very close to selling, which is not allowed on this forum. If you are giving it away, that's another story...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Try the iboats Thrifties, GJ. Yellow bar at the top of the page.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

GoldenJet

Recruit

Thanks for the info, I’m just curious where you found the details. I’m always looking for good references. I have to admit, I am curious if it has any value. But my intentions are to find it a good home preferable hanging on a collector’s wall rather than spewing oily exhaust across a lake or taking a hammer to the casting and hauling it to the scrap yard. Thanks again - BG

GJ,<br />My In-laws have an Antique store. If you want me to, I could put it in there for you and we could see what it would bring. I am sure if it is in good cosmetic shape, someone would take it if the price wasn't too far out of reach. They have one buyer that buys for all the Cracker Barrels, and they buy alot of outdoor stuff from them. E-mail me if you want to try to sell it. BlackKnight755@hotmail.com<br /><br />Good Luck,<br />BK

GoldenJet

Recruit

RB, <br />thanks for the web link. I went looking for that info last year and couldn't find it. Impressive site!<br /><br />BK<br />thanks for the offer, but right now it's buried under a tarp with 2-3 feet of snow over the top. Maybe in the Spring - thats mid-May up here.<br /><br />BG with the GoldenJet 400

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Mercury used to offer a semi-biodegradable 2-stroke oil. It was better than their regular lube, rather pricey, and few dealers stocked it. I don't know if it's still available. I agree about 32:1. Maybe a shoreside restaraunt would like it for a decoration? Could be worth some free meals. Put a tag "From the Collection of..." and put your business card on it.