Can someone recommend an affordable induction tach?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Plan installing an induction tach meter for how may cylinders, 2 or 4 strokes motor ?

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Each of us have our own level of affordability. What is yours?

I see them for 8 bucks and up. Sure they're Chinese, but they all come from China.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use an optical tach for $11 to verify things.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
3 associated issues with TT :

The pick up signal wire which is solid breaks from where connects to the other cable pack due to 2 strokes motor vibration, uses a ground cable, can't trim the one piece wire excess once correctly routed from the spark plug cable to where will be working. Much better is the Hardline hour/tach HR-8061-2 model.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Front Hour-Tach Installation.JPG Views:	1 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	10755147

The pick up signal wire is a standard flexible one, won't break with motor vibration, no ground wire is required, wire excess can be trimmed to desired lenght after a correct wire routing.

Would like to see someone measuring max wot rpm on a motor with a laser tach while combo runs at full speed, those are only good for shop, house testing. An hour tach permanently installed is excellent for prop maximizations, fuel economy runs along metering elapsed worked hours. Are not that cheap, who said that boating was a cheap sport LOL!! Check Iboats, Amazon for them...

Happy Boating

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All good info, thanks people!

I had planned on using an industrial contact tach on the top of the crankshaft but the pull start cover prevents this.

Im probably going to go with a cheap one for now as I don’t plan on a permanent install.

For me on my lake a permanent install would just be one more thing to look out for.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What do you plan doing with an induction tach ? tach what precisely ?

Happy Boating

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
I just ordered the first one in 82Rude's link...will be here next Friday.

I'll let you know after I have a chance to test it.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Getting back to post #11, the tach came in early, I set it up on a Mariner 15 2-stroke, set up firing sequence and it registered idle at 746-750.

Tach reading was steady throughout RPM range, so for $30 CDN, I'm happy...just don't know how long the non-replaceable battery will last.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Just don't know how long the non-replaceable battery will last.

Battery duration will depend entirely if factory installed a cheap or high quality one inside sealed tach. Which was the max wot rpm achieved as loaded ?

Happy Boating

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I finally decided on one and installed it.

I went with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07931P2P1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After reading the wordpage included in the package and setting it up worng I just started playing with it until I got an acceptable outcome and it worked fine from there on out.

I say wordpage because the chinglish instructions are just that, a page full of random words.

What I found out is my idle is much too high (1400) and my RPM loaded was 5750 @ 25mph, and we spent 1.1 hours under power burning just under 2gal of fuel, and the other three fishing.:D

For $20 I would recommend this. How long it will last......?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Congrats, way to go. By installing one have discovered issues you didn't know about before without a tach. Also good to check fuel consumptions by the hour at different fixed throttle settings. All portable motors should count with one.

Happy Boating