6hp 4T Mercury or Yamaha, or even a Tohatsu 9.8hp 2T

Baxter88

Recruit
Im new and have a specific dilema. I have read review after review and forum after forum, so i need a central collaboration of info. I need a new outboard for my fibreglass soft chine dinghy. And this is where I am stuck so help me out everyone please..
Was looking in to purchasing a Mercury 6hp 4T or Yamaha 6hp 4T as they are very close in price and wanted to get something quieter than 2stroke and less smoke so i have a comfy and peaceful ride. BUT i hear mixed reviews on noise and vibrations with these.. buzzkill. I mean is the lack of smoke enough to go for with a little vibration, which of the two is quieter though? or are they even that quiet...
Then this guy says he has a few Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 strokes new in storage he would sell me for the same price.. now of course these are all 3 in the same weight category so no debates there. my debate it will the 4 strokes actually satisfy my wants of noise and lack of smoke??..

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

If it would be my choice, would go straight for the Tohatsu 9.8 HP motor. There's a 2.8 HP difference to take advantage of compared to the other 6 HP motor. For me power is all, quietness and smoke free is secondary..

A 9.8 well propped will serve you much better if plan going in the near future for a larger boat than current one.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Baxter88

Recruit
Thanks. Yeah the extra power is a big temptation, but its classic dinghy I'm bringing back to life a season at a time. Plan to hold onto this for as long as I can. Just would be pretty pissed if I got a single cylinder 4 stroke and the noise just vexed me and wished i had just gone for 2stroke

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
So how long will you be using this dingy?
5 minutes to ferry out to a larger boat or island? Or 2 hours of trolling at a time?

If using it for extended time, I would go for a 2 cylinder model, less vibration, more power.

Baxter88

Recruit
At most 45 minutes but on average 10-15. Ive been looking everyone online for any Db readings of the 9.8 Tohatsu but cant find any.

matt167

Captain
Mercury 6hp is a Tohatsu built motor. It is mechanically identical to the Tohatsu branded outboard with cosmetic differences and a slightly different tiller and 2 less years of warranty ( Tohatsu 5yr, Merc 3yr ). If you went to a 9.8hp 4 stroke it would be about 30 lbs heavier.

I can tell you that a Honda 5hp 4 stroke is a dream to troll with as a kicker on a big boat. It creates just about no noise

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Although 4 strokes motors runs with less noise, won't hear a parade going on at back transom if going for the 2 strokes 9.8 HP motor. If going for a 6 HP, a 2 cylinder one vibrates much less than a single cylinder motor.

Happy Boating