Mechanic question

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am wondering what is the normal protocol for dealing with a mechanic that doesn’t resolve the issue you brought the boat in to have fixed. I brought my boat in over two months ago and have received little to no communication from my mechanic. Last I heard from him was about three weeks ago when I messaged to find out the status and all I received back was that he was having trouble getting it to idle day to day and nothing since then. I could be jumping the gun a little, but if he isn’t able to fix my issue am I required to pay him for the time spent on the motor? Never had this situation happen before so just curious how it’s normally handled.

harringtondav

Commander
Sorry, but any money you have paid is sunk. Any money you owe is your leverage. A mechanics lean is his only legal recourse. If you didn't sign one, grab your boat and move on, or threaten to. He'll either back off, or wake up and fix it.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, but any money you have paid is sunk. Any money you owe is your leverage. A mechanics lean is his only legal recourse. If you didn't sign one, grab your boat and move on, or threaten to. He'll either back off, or wake up and fix it.

I haven’t paid anything yet. The last I heard he said he had sunken five hours into it and that was a few weeks ago.

harringtondav

Commander
I haven’t paid anything yet. The last I heard he said he had sunken five hours into it and that was a few weeks ago.

It's easy for me to pound my chest. I'm not in this game. Diagnostic time is valid. Five hrs in two months sounds like inattention and a fa*t-off. I'd grab your boat, say 'thanks for nothing', and find a new shop. Small claims court is his option, but it sounds like he doesn't have the time. I'm guessing you'll win if it comes to that. Nothing for nothing seems fair.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is this an actual Marine Service shop, or some guy working out of his garage?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've had the same thing, working on a customers motor. Timing, carb work, sync and link. Full tune up. Still would spit back, randomly. Diagnosed it was the upper crank seal. Customer took the boat anyway, paid for parts but didn't want to pay labor. Settled for a small labor charge, but refused to let me change the seal. Then went around the area and complained about my work. I think it helped as more people showed up for repairs. Laughing at the other guy.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is this an actual Marine Service shop, or some guy working out of his garage?

It’s a legit shop and I have used him for years and have never had an issue. For the most part I do trust him. And I’m not so much concerned that he’s being shady, just more so curious if it’s common to pay the full price or anything if a mechanic is unable to fix something.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You should pay for the correct work done, that's motor working spot on. Personally would be ashamed of myself to charge someone for extensive hand labor which didn't fixed my motor at all.

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
For this reason many big shops refuse to work on older motors.-----Too many things can be wrong / need to be checked.----Often folks with older equipment are on a " tight budget " and expect that with new sparkplugs and some carburetor tuning they will have a " new " motor again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is no mechanic in a can, and most motors have a design life of only 15 years....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But in many areas motors are only use 3 or 4 months of the year.--------Parts availability comes into the picture too.----Dealers do not want to do a " tune up " and then find a rattle when motor starts.----Who is going to pay when project is abandoned ?-----Know of a dealer who took this approach.----" Give us $ 200 up front and we will give you the change if there is any "------Today that would be $1000 .-----Too many folks have walked away when repair amount skyrockets !!!-----Many folks with older motors are surprised when told " we won't work on it " and there are reasons for this approach.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It’s a legit shop and I have used him for years and have never had an issue. For the most part I do trust him. And I’m not so much concerned that he’s being shady, just more so curious if it’s common to pay the full price or anything if a mechanic is unable to fix something.

In the US, Doctors still expect payment even if the patient Dies, and Lawyers too, even when they lose in Court, so why shouldn't a Mechanic?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Mechanics are not always held in high regard.---------Folks will tip a pretty waitress the first day on the job.------Then they complain to a mechanic with years of experience and training about his rates !!!

BillP

Captain
I don't think there is any set rule that says what to do except pay for work performed. Is the mechanic factory trained or shade tree? Take it up with the mechanic and see what he says before it gets hostile. An experienced mech should be able to trouble shoot most situations before replacing parts...but then there are mechanics who trouble shoot by changing parts until the problem is fixed..

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You will definitely fix any motor installing different new parts in it. Probably just one part was the culprit. Shade tree mechanics likes doing those type of unskilled work but with an associated costly solution. Shame, shame on them...

Hapy Boating