E-blend fuel one time.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nobody was relating e10 to e95. The man said " non E 95 octane" as in 95 octane fuel with no ethanol. He then wrote about "E8 95 octane" which i believe meant 95 octane fuel with an 8% ethanol mix.
Perhaps he will stop back and clarify.

If what you say is true, he has a serious supplier issue No way should gaskets and seals break down that quickly with an 8% ethanol blend.

BillP

Captain
It always helps to follow mfgs recommendations. My 2016 Tohatsu manual says up to 10% ethanol and up to 5% methanol. I believe this is industry standard for outboards. Run E10 and you won't see soft parts deteriorating...but you still have to deal with the ethanol absorbing water issue. I change out fuel pumps every couple yrs as general maintenance and they look no different after running E10. My pre ethanol engines have the soft parts upgraded but I run the gas out after use to be safe.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
No need for further clarification, is just passing from a Non E fuel to a E8 fuel both with same 95 octane rating, bought at any fuel staion. The issue is that you've been using E fuels for many years, so when openning up a carb or fuel pump and finding those mentioned issues will seem normal as haven't compared their state, shape when used with non E fuels. Have had the oportunity to compare and document both fuels and what each one does to rubber parts. Producing E is a huge profitable bussiness, so will neet to live with it.

BTW, not saying that the use of E fuels will screw your motor badly. I'm saying that E fuels will warp, elongate rubber, plastic parts such as mentioned than non E ones. Those parts will need to be replaced more often. Our E fuels are made from sugar cane, not corn if that matters and probably screws rubber parts prematurely than E fuels made from corn ?

You can make a simple experiment get 2 small containers, fill one with non E fuel, the other with E10 with same octane rating, throw in each container one small rubber o'ring as to make the experiment cheapear, leave them for some days and check results. Is there someone willing to do this experiment and report back ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It always helps to follow mfgs recommendations. My 2016 Tohatsu manual says up to 10% ethanol and up to 5% methanol. I believe this is industry standard for outboards. Run E10 and you won't see soft parts deteriorating...but you still have to deal with the ethanol absorbing water issue. I change out fuel pumps every couple yrs as general maintenance and they look no different after running E10. My pre ethanol engines have the soft parts upgraded but I run the gas out after use to be safe.

We're talking about Tohatsu motors, what the Owner's Manual states is correct. Running carb dry is the way to go specially if won't know when the motor will be used again. There's a huge difference replacing rubber parts as diaphragams when undergoing preventive maintenence done on a low hour use motor than doing same on a motor with high hour use.

If you replace complete fuel pumps every couppple of years won't know the internal diaphragam condition, right, LOL!! Tohatsu USA doesn't count with special rubber parts made specially for them, they import such parts from Tohatsu-Japan same as any other dealer worldwide.

Happy Boating

tramsdell

Banned
Basically seems that if 1-2 doses of ethoanol ruins something, then it was due to be replaced anyway... im lookin at you vro fuel pump!

BillP

Captain
We're talking about Tohatsu motors, what the Owner's Manual states is correct. Running carb dry is the way to go specially if won't know when the motor will be used again. There's a huge difference replacing rubber parts as diaphragams when undergoing preventive maintenence done on a low hour use motor than doing same on a motor with high hour use.

If you replace complete fuel pumps every couppple of years won't know the internal diaphragam condition, right, LOL!! Tohatsu USA doesn't count with special rubber parts made specially for them, they import such parts from Tohatsu-Japan same as any other dealer worldwide.

Happy Boating

The OP asked about ethanol in the USA. I have plenty of experience to reflect what it has done for me and how it affects soft parts in the long term. Other stuff is thread drift. I know things are different in Peru...I spent 2 weeks in Miraflores at the Club Waikiki

I just read on an ethanol info site that ethanol gas in Brazil has between 17% - 27.5% ethanol. That's not a typo.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All we can get is E10 in California. My boat is 20 years old running E10 the whole time. It has a carb and has no seal or diagram issues. I have a couple outboards that get run the same way. One Honda and one Mercury. No issues.

The ethanol "sky is falling" people should be ignored for the most part.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is always so much fun to read through the fuel threads, so many different uninformed myths still float around about the various fuels.

:facepalm:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What can I say, each part has their own E version. As this is a thorny issue for many boaters, we better bury the E theme here or the discussion will continue forever...

Happy Boating