E-blend fuel one time.

tramsdell

Banned
Im going on vacation in a land where ethanol free fuel is not really available, is it gonna hurt my 87 omc v4 to run one tank of ethanol fuel through it, then back to e free when i get back to my native area?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
E10, no problem at all. in fact, unless the pump specifically says E0, or ethanol free, it is most likely E10

E15 or higher and you will run into problems.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Motor won't care which fuel is being used, will burn both same so not an issue with max E10 fuels...

Happy Boating

tramsdell

Banned
Sweet, i always use non ethanol around here, i dont like e sitting in the tank, lines, carbs during downtime. But i should burn fuel quickly on vacation :p

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I would run a tank of E10 before you go on vacation. E10 can clean the fuel system, possibly (possibly) causing some stuff to clog a fuel filter, or worse. If you run it at home and need to change a filter or make other minor repair, it will be easier.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sweet, i always use non ethanol around here, i dont like e sitting in the tank, lines, carbs during downtime. But i should burn fuel quickly on vacation :p

If you always run non E fuels keep boating that way, E10 fuels will end elongating, ballooning, detereorating much faster everything being rubber mainly o'rings, carb's and fuel pump diaphragms.

Happy Boating

tramsdell

Banned
Thanks ppl. I'm going to fill the boat before i leave and bring along as much fuel as i can. Once i run out, the party's over unless i find some non E.

BillP

Captain
Relax, you're worrying about nothing. It takes way more than a couple of weeks for ethanol gas to harm to seals, etc. It WILL absorb water faster but still not an issue in a couple of weeks if you don't leave the gas tank cap off. If it bothers you turn the fuel off and let it run dry after every use. That's what I do with ethanol since it first came out in all my engines.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks ppl. I'm going to fill the boat before i leave and bring along as much fuel as i can. Once i run out, the party's over unless i find some non E.

You are overreacting. A tank or two of E-10 won't do anything. It takes a steady diet before blaming ethanol.

Transporting "as much fuel as I can" is more dangerous than running a couple of tanks of E-10.

tramsdell

Banned
This forum is all over the place on literally everything. Im gonna go back to my gut here and say that 1 tank of e 10 run through rapidly over the couple days that tank lasts is gonna either be just fine, or ill fix whatever goobs up.

Thanks guys

BillP

Captain
This forum is all over the place on literally everything. Im gonna go back to my gut here and say that 1 tank of e 10 run through rapidly over the couple days that tank lasts is gonna either be just fine, or ill fix whatever goobs up.

Thanks guys

Hahaaha, you are right about being all over the place. People need to be careful concerning fact or fiction. My comment is based on running before ethanol and during ethanol. I currently run 7 ob engines (2 stroke and 4 stroke - 1950-2016) on ethanol and have no issues. So don't worry about it and enjoy your vacation.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys

You won't be fixing any "goobs", which has been what most of us have said. The negatives have been about long term use, not a tank or two.

I do hope you let us know how the boat fares.

tramsdell

Banned
I guess since most of my fuel system is new and ive got carb kits with me my only concern would be the fuel pump at this point and honestly, ive never seen one fail that can be specifically atributed to ethanol.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will add more fuel into the existing fire controversy about E fuel use. Been myself in our fuel transition fron non E 95 octane to E8-95 octane, pics speaks for themselves. Won't like to know what E-10 will do to those new carb parts in the low hour run.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2-Ethanol Mix.JPG Views:	1 Size:	72.0 KB ID:	10749877

Click image for larger version  Name:	3-Ethanol Mix.JPG Views:	1 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	10749878

Click image for larger version  Name:	4-Pure Gasoline.JPG Views:	1 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	10749879

Will positively guess for sure that someone will say, hey get those parts for E use, right ? Guess what, no motor brand will provide non E and E diaphragams as a choice, all use and sells standard ones. If lasts way less than when used with non E fuels too bad for you!! LOL!!

As stated, the use of 1-2-3 full tanks of E fuel won'tt blow your beloved carb's diaphragsms, o'rings, gaskets and fuel line. Don't worry, have fun, go boating...

Happy Boating

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Will add more fuel into the existing fire controversy about E fuel use. Been myself in our fuel transition fron non E 95 octane to E8-95 octane, pics speaks for themselves. Won't like to know what E-10 will do to those new carb parts in the low hour run.

Happy Boating
E10 is 10% ethanol and 90% gas. E95 octane is 95% ethanol and 5% gas. Huge difference. No comparison.

My fuel pump is OEM 2007.

Carb gaskets are just now starting to seep. Last replaced prior to 2009.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
E10 is 10% ethanol and 90% gas. E95 octane is 95% ethanol and 5% gas. Huge difference. No comparison.

My fuel pump is OEM 2007.

Carb gaskets are just now starting to seep. Last replaced prior to 2009.

Touche, but mentioned a NON E95 octane fuel, not an E95 fuel. With E95 fuels no outboard motor will work spot on along having 0 tech iissues as with non E fuels. Know that in Brasil are using if not mistaken 50%-50% or way more E% contents than gasoline and having horrible tech issues with outboards as was told by a rescue crew members located in a brasilian beach.

The posted pics diaphragams were brand new when installed in 2017, were removed shortly, don't remember why and reinstalled afterwords. The issue is that being the diaphragam (pic 2) already slight warped/elongated the holes shows a slight mismatch with the carb's holes as when just installed.

Happy Boating

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Touche, but mentioned a NON E95 octane fuel, not an E95 fuel.
Whatever.... Having a hard time relating your transition to an E95 fuel to the E10 fuel used here in the States.

If E10 was the detriment you profess, there would be millions of cars along side the road and thousands of boats adrift on any given day.

Most new cars built in the US are E85 friendly. Obviously there is a solution to the problem.

Perhaps all you need to do is source your components from a reputable supplier in the US.

tramsdell

Banned
Whatever.... Having a hard time relating your transition to an E95 fuel to the E10 fuel used here in the States.

If E10 was the detriment you profess, there would be millions of cars along side the road and thousands of boats adrift on any given day.

Most new cars built in the US are E85 friendly. Obviously there is a solution to the problem.

Perhaps all you need to do is source your components from a reputable supplier in the US.

Nobody was relating e10 to e95. The man said " non E 95 octane" as in 95 octane fuel with no ethanol. He then wrote about "E8 95 octane" which i believe meant 95 octane fuel with an 8% ethanol mix.