Opinions wanted.......classic repower or different boat?

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to potentially repower my boat and not sure which direction I should go. I inherited my grandparents boat when they passed away and no one else in the family wanted it. It has a TON of sentimental value to me, so I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna do this. Its a 1969 Silverline DeVille with the original Merc 1000. We use the boat primarily for watersports, but I do occasionally take it out fishing. Trouble is, that old Merc is smelly and a little underpowered. My wife is constantly on me about how loud it is and getting fumes from it, either cruising or skiing behind it. Been thinking of replacing it with something more modern because of the reasons listed above, but also because no repair facilities will touch it due to age/parts availability. For nostalgic purposes, I'd like to leave it the way it is because it runs out good (36mph @ 5300 rpm/6000ft elevation), but reverse is getting almost no engagement in the water and its been adjusted a bazillion times. I also just added a bow-mount trolling motor with wireless remote. So here's my dilemma:

I'm not worried about cost, but would like to consider a good used outboard over anything new because I'm practical. The hull isn't getting any younger and I need to redo the entire interior and floor eventually. Modern outboards, 2T or 4T, weigh more than what I have and I'm only rated for 110hp. I'd likely get as good or better performance from any modern 90hp anyways, but I'm worried about weight. Should I be? Is adding an extra 100-150 lbs on the transom any different than having an extra teenager on board? If I end up going forward with the repower, I'll likely need newer controls/steering cables, and that will add to the cost/complexity that I'm not 100% sure my local repair guys would be willing to do. Then, what to do with the old ToP?

vs.

The other idea I have is just getting another boat and dedicating it to watersports. Again, not terribly worried about cost, or storage for that matter (I have a 40x60 shop for our toys). Several years ago, I picked up a mid-80's 18ft Invader with a 3.0Merc for almost nothing and we only used it a couple of times before selling. Loved the extra leg room, quietness of operation, open bow, better power/economy of that kind of setup. I could easily find something similar to meet my wife's wants/needs and it'll likely be around the $$. An I/O would be significantly quieter in operation while also being more fuel efficient and having the low-end grunt that we need with boards/skis. Could also look for something with a tower when my current boat couldn't likely handle that kind of stress. Hmm, now that I've typed all this out, I think I've found a solution. Your thoughts?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A few things stuck out in your short book/comment. You say there is "a TON of sentimental value to me". If that is the case, you can buy a newer or even new engine and install it on that boat. The controls come with the engine so that is covered. However, if you think the boat has any structural or even cosmetic issues, do those repairs like you want before investing into a new engine. Then when you install a newer or new engine, it will be like new again.

YOU have to make the decision which way you want to go and then make that your goal... We can help with how-to info with any hull repairs and make suggestions as to how to proceed with it. But you have to make the decision and then post what you want to do. We are here to help when you are ready. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get the merc repaired, maybe even get the power head rebuilt

switch to synthetic oil to reduce the smoking

run your sentimental boat.

or repower with a post mid 80's (prop rated) 115hp or 90hp (more power than your current 69 crank rated 100hp) and go boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, late model 90HP motors are 3 cylinder, compared to your 6 cylinders. Weight should be close if not lighter that what you have now. Even a late model 115HP motor is an inline 4, which should be lighter.

If you stick with Merc, the control cables may port to the new motor. You will need to graft the electrics. New fuel line fittings are likely. Steering should port over. It is cable rack and pinion steering, right?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
An inline 6 is listed at about 300 lbs.-----The inline 115 HP late model 4 cylinder is listed at about 325 lbs.----So there goes that theory about " should be lighter " I think.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Keep the boat and motor for the memories, take it out for a spin every now and then, keep it in the shed when not in use,

get another boat your wife likes...or get another wife...lol

classic boats are great.

matt167

Captain
An inline 6 is listed at about 300 lbs.-----The inline 115 HP late model 4 cylinder is listed at about 325 lbs.----So there goes that theory about " should be lighter " I think.

I bet they are close optioned the same ( tilt/ trim or no tilt/ trim ). Then there is the fact that a 100hp in 1969 is closer to 90hp prop rated and a 115hp that is prop rated would be closer go 115-120 if it was crank rated. 20# would be a wash

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The statement was made !-------" a late model 115 HP is an inline 4 , which should be lighter "------But the fact is that many older motors are lighter than the new modern motors !!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, the difference of 30 pounds or about 10% of the engine weight is insignificant. He will get better performance from a modern 3 cyl 90HP merc, or much better performance with a 4 Cyl 115HP Merc, at the cost of 10- 20% weight increase.

My '93 135HP Merc V6 weighs in 400+ pounds, versus my Merc 1500 Il6 at 300#. Now that is a difference of 33% or so. However, the V6 will blow the doors off the Il6 for overall power, from idle. Top speed is about the same.

JMO...

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been away for awhile.....sorry about that! Think I'm gonna keep the boat the way it is. Took it out over Father's Day weekend and I continue to get compliments on keeping the old stuff original. This happens every time I take it out somewhere. People stop and ask me about it at the gas stations, rest stops, and at the dock. I'm gonna run it this way until she blows or sinks! The wifey can get her own damn boat!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
One of my Ex's gave me the Ultimatum, It was either Her or the Boat! For a while, I did miss her when it came to launching and loading...