Home built power tilt and trim?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I’ve been trying to find tutorials on how to build my own tilt and trim but I’m getting lost in the google rabbit hole. I’ve seen homebuilt systems that use remote pumps which are complicated and expensive if you don’t already have components.

the CMC units are very expensive and not a fit for my budget, but the right thing for the progress of my project. I’m currently replacing my transom, re-mounting my old merc until I can refit with an OMC I picked up which won’t be until next year or the following. Neither motor has PTT and I don’t want to plug transom holes at refit time.

So if anyone knows of any homebuilt tutorials using off the shelf parts, I’d be grateful to know. I can fabricate the frame no problem. It’s the guts/design I need help with.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Off the shelf parts?
Like sealed waterproof 12 volt reversible hydraulic pumps? No.

Easier to buy a junk motor and install the parts on your motor.

As far as transom mounting holes go, what size and year of motors are you working with?

Mid 70's OMC bolt pattern became the standard.
Merc started using this pattern in about 1983 - 4 ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you think buying a pre-made, pre-engineered system is expensive. making a system that works from scratch will cost you about 3x that

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
UPDATE; a used CMC unit in my budget came my way. I hope my steering cable will allow for the extra offset. Never thought about that until the trip home:(

Thanks again guys.