An overpower question 120 hp rating with 130 hp outboard?

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
My hull is rated at 120 hp - and during the year of that boat the Johnson/Evinrude V4 went up to 120 hp. Well, I have a 130 hp Johnson I was considering mounting on there. It should be the same weight as the 120hp.

I replaced the transom a couple years back so that should be good to go (didn't really need it, but I wanted to be sure).

Any major concerns with the 120 vs 130?

I have a 70 hp on there now and it's just not fast enough.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Best check boating regs for where you boat, overpowering might be listed as reckless operation. It is here in WV.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Some states have laws that say it is a violation to exceed the value on the capacity label. I don't know if Michigan is one. Ask your local state water cop.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does the plate say ----MAXIMUM POWER ?---or -------MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED POWER ?--------See what the local rules say or what insurance policies say in fine print.

The Force power

Commander
I had a 15' fiberglass runabout max rating 50 hp & threw a 65 hp on after repairing/re-in forcing the transom. the boat handled the increase with no problem (not to say this would be with any boat)

if your boat is rated for a max 120 HP a 130 HP is not going to sink it.

however going from a 70 HP to a 130 will be adjustment to get used to

This is a personal opinion & maybe not an accepted practice!! be safe & respect the water

Scott06

Vice Admiral
When push comes to shove, lawyers do. Not the lawyers on your side.

Seriously is that what this forum has become ? Right up there with neighborhood home owners association...

when was the last time you were litigated for a boating issue? Don’t drive drunk and don’t do anything stupid you’ll be ok

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Seriously is that what this forum has become ? Right up there with neighborhood home owners association...

when was the last time you were litigated for a boating issue? Don’t drive drunk and don’t do anything stupid you’ll be ok

Well then, if something happens, we can just say: Scott said it will be ok.
Please check the regulations in your state. Thank you.

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all for your opinions. I couldn't find any legal requirements where I'm at restricting this. I am going to mount it and see how it performs. I go fishing often with a buddy that has a 115hp on 16 foot boat rated for 90 and it performs fine. When a 115hp shows up at a good price, I'll downgrade to that.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Digging thru the Michigan boating regs, it appears the section(s) covering capacity and horsepower rating have been rescinded (history note is 1979 AC, no idea what that covers/means). Sinfe I dont boat in Michigan I didnt go any further to see if it was reinstated or modified in 1979....

But digging further into a seperate PDF @ accidents and reporting, lists info required for accident investigations. Among the necessary info is horespower of boat(s) involved. So it could come up.....

Do what you're comfortable w.

It is unlikely to create unwanted attention if you boat responsibly, but it only takes once...

boat safely.

Attachments

• 1260_2013-068NR_AdminCode.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1265_2013-060NR_AdminCode.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I didn't issue a warning, fine anyone or warrant this response. You can opine and I can't? :confused:

This was not being a nanny, just made an observation that lawsuits are filed for anything.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Ga boater

it it seemed like you were discounting my opinion by quoting me. You could've made your opinion without discounting mine. From a moderator this seemed odd to knock somebody elses two cents where the comment wasn't deragatory profane etc. if that's wasn't you intent please accept my apologies .

bottom line hope this works out for the OP, would be good if he follows up with how I think works out for him.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ga boater

it it seemed like you were discounting my opinion by quoting me. You could've made your opinion without discounting mine. From a moderator this seemed odd to knock somebody elses two cents where the comment wasn't deragatory profane etc. if that's wasn't you intent please accept my apologies .

bottom line hope this works out for the OP, would be good if he follows up with how I think works out for him.

Accepted. I was merely saying the end result is out of our hands when and if it hits the fan. I thought that was clear, but it seems it wasn't.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I'm glad the people on the forum have the sense to opine in such a way that could help people avoid a potential lawsuit. I don't personally know of anyone that was sued, but I have read about a lot of instances.

A number of years ago a bunch of sober people attempted to help boaters in distress and made some bad decisions, not really stupid ones, but more of a non-educated mistake. A little girl was maimed for life and the lawsuit was (as reported) the largest personal injury suit to date. Since the boaters had skinny pockets, the Chris Craft boat company took the brunt of it and that, in part, was what put them in bankruptcy.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Since the boaters had skinny pockets, the Chris Craft boat company took the brunt of it and that, in part, was what put them in bankruptcy.
Thats the problem in USA as lawyers want to make as many dollars,15minutes of fame and name for themselves. Look how many people lost their jobs, suppliers their sales,boat dealers who lost a product over that..Hundreds!!! Did lawyers share $$$ with those???? No as they took their 1/3 and laughed on way to bank. Same as the stupid lawsuit against Remington Arms.

VivaLaMigra

Seaman Apprentice
This is always a nagging Q especially since HP ratings are all over the map even within a single manufacturer's model lineup. I just sold an old Corson 14 footer that says "40 HP" on the plate - well the Chrysler 45 I put on it is a bit down on compression and of course we all know those old motors were rated at the powerhead not the prop shaft anyway. So, is it "dangerous" with this well broken-in "forty-five" but NOT dangerous with a new and much heavier ETEC 40? The only "final" answer you will get is if you're involved in an at-fault accident and you're deemed "negligent" b/c you exceeded CG power rating for the boat. Tell me how OMC can make a 3-cylinder loop-charged motot with 49 cubic inches of displacement and initially rate it at 55 HP, then 60, then 65, then 70, then 75. But, later they have to punch it out 56 cubes to get 70 prop shaft hp and they reintroduce a 75 hp rating. But, the same powerhead is later rated at 60 hp, and even FIFTY. My mechanic friend says the late 60 is a 70 with smaller carbs so the "50" must be more restricted, still.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Lawyers have a job because some people are just idiots. Do you know how many 10 mph brains drive 60+ mph boats. Then these people.have accidents and need someone.to blame. Nobody cares if you die in your overpowered boat t hats on you, it's the other people that get hurt that matter.Common sense isn't common anymore. As far as the post above me that is just gobbledy gook. Hp is what the manufacturer rated the motor at and put on the hood and model/serial#. Nothing else matters.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I follow the rules, stay sober, maintain my equipment and study about my hobbies so I know i'm doing the right thing. As I always say, if some moron hits me and is drunk, or has an overpowered boat (according to the plate), I'll sue him so he has to sell his firstborn in order to satisfy my judgement.

As an aside, an old acquaintance had an accident that truly WAS his fault, but not because of negligence, rather because he was uneducated in what he was doing. That poor slob ended up with a judgement that would never allow him to to buy a house, get a loan for a new car, plus guaranteed wage garnishment for years and years, and destroyed his marriage. THAT was a testimony for having good insurance.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
In Idaho, the cops inspect EVERYONE in or out of the water for their annual sticker. If you're overpowered, you get a lovely fine in place of your annual sticker. Since I've moved to Montana 3 years ago, I haven't been inspected yet.