Evinrude etec 25

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm considering buying new etec 25. I want a short shaft, tiller, electric start. I had a dealer give me a price of $4400 today. Yow! I wasn't expecting that as I though it would be below 4K.
Is that a high price for this?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Forget Asia (you'll get screwed royal), and forget Rude. I have been an Evinrude guy for 51 years and currently have 39 of them in my stable. They ain't what they used to be. In recent years I bought 2 motors from Online Outboards, which is a USA company. Their service and delivery is impeccable. Their price is awesome. I'd buy a 20 HP electric short shaft from them for $3200. Free shipping and no sales tax.

82rude

Rear Admiral
The new yammy 25hp is an outstanding outboard,up here and further north the etec,s are being seen more and more particularly the 15 and 25hp,s.I have a 2011 60hp etec and its a great motor .

sweetrick

Recruit
I may be wrong but I have been researching for a new portable outboard and I read that Evinrude will not sell outboard by itself to an individual that it has to be a boat and motor package. I also, discovered that the new ETECs are the priciest of them all.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No----Lots of dealers sell just the motor.--------These are motors that a dealer needs to install and prepare for a new owner.-----Computer is involved with initial start up and to verify everything is working as it should.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some dealers sell them as package deals with boats but I haven't found one yet that won't sell just the motor.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
What the opinions on the Suzuki? I can get a new Suzuki 25hp 4-stroke, short shaft, electric start, and electric trim and tilt (which the Evinrude didn't have) for about $400 less than the Evinrude.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
No----Lots of dealers sell just the motor.--------These are motors that a dealer needs to install and prepare for a new owner.-----Computer is involved with initial start up and to verify everything is working as it should.

I bought 2 outboards from OnlineOutboards.com in recent years. They handled all the warranty work, etc. All I had to do was add the oil (a bottle was included) since they can't ship full.

Is the computer setup a requirement and that's why they don't sell E-Tecs?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Buying an engine online, might save you money on the initial purchase, but shipping back for warranty issues will be expensive. I know you are supposed to take to any dealer for Warranty, but you have no investment in that dealer, you didn't buy from him, and he has no reason to drop everything for you. He might if you were away from home on vacation and had a breakdown, but if you are a local guy who bought from another dealer(which is noted in the Engine Manufacturer data base of that engines Serial #), your engine might not get looked at till the end of the season.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Saw a sign many years ago.--------" boats and motors purchased here get first priority.------Boats docked here are next in line.-----OTHERS are looked at when time allows "------Not sure why anyone would expect a shop to ignore regular customers in order to jump and help someone who just launched his boat and motor won't start at the ramp.-------I buy my tires / wipers or new battery at one shop.------If there is a problem with them I do not have to argue and provide " proof of purchase "

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Probably be ok...but not where my money would be after seeing that very model mess up my friends summer last year. Great when it was running and amazing on fuel...but the slightest wee trouble with it and it’s a dealer reset or visit to reset it. Didn’t like not being used.
A far cry from the wee 4hp 2 cylinder I had at 30 odd years old. Could leave that In the garage for years and it would fire right up 2/3rd pull.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ive personally seen a new merc and 250 hp Yamaha blowup.Now were down to only 3 mfg we trust?To meet federal emission standards outboards are getting more not less complicated thus more can and will go wrong.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ive personally seen a new merc and 250 hp Yamaha blowup.Now were down to only 3 mfg we trust?To meet federal emission standards outboards are getting more not less complicated thus more can and will go wrong.

Couldn’t agree more. I’d have a late model Yamaha 2 stroke over any new 4 stroke of the same power any day of the week.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I would of killed for a 70-90 2 stroke Yamaha but it was not to be.My 2011 60hp Evinrude etec has been stellar from day one though.Older omc 60,s are faster but where my etec blows them away is in grunt,the ability to carry a massive load and not break a sweat or lose speed hardy atall.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We have 1 ETec dealer locally and about 8 Merc dealers. So, at 8:1 odds you would expect more Mercs needing repair. Nevertheless, the only complaints I hear are about ETecs.

My last 2-stroke daily driver was an '07 Yami 25 HP. It was good on fuel, generally ran ok, but I never warmed up to it. It never started well cold, while my 1952 'Rude would start 2nd pull every time.

The Yami was traded in on a 4-stroke Merc. Naturally, fuel injected, easy oil changes, super economy, yada, yada. Now I'm 4-stroke all the way. In fact I traded in my I/O for another Merc 4-stroke.

Just my opinion...