Zodiac w a 9.9hp?

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
My dreams of getting my new 15 hp merc for my zodiac 340 solid is down the drain for now..lol. Anyways my son-in-law has offer me a 2006 Honda 9.9. for free but needs work. Short shaft, needs vertical and prop shafts. Just wondering, after repairs how this would work on my Zodiac.
Thanks,
Bryan.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Far better with a good late model 2 stroke 8-15hp. Much lighter and better performance.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
To add a little more.
A good 2 stroke late model engine won’t be cheap these days. Really sought after for the very reason I’ve mentioned. So much better for ease of transport or lifting on and off.

To give you some numbers.

I had a 3m valiant rib with a console and remotes. It had a 10hp mariner 2 stroke most of the time ans a 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke with tiller once.

The 10hp would see 22mph tips and about 20mph gps normally with one on board. It would plane with 2 adults and 2 kids and even pull an inflatable toy or knee board with one on board.

The 8hp managed 17mph gps but would struggle to plane with more than 2 adults and 1 child.

The 8hp Yamaha weighs almost exactly what a modern 4hp Yamaha 4 stroke does. 26kgs from memory and the 10hp not much more. I’d think a 10hp 4 stroke would be around 50 maybe ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check if it's worth the cost repair, if so..

The performance of a 9.9 OB will depend entirely on the number of souls onboard, ideal would be to go boating with just 2 for that size Rib. Can prop it right with a less pitch prop in order to plane the combo much faster while revving towards its max wot rpm range. For that will need to install an induction tach in order for OB to play safely with a less pitch prop.

Happy Boating

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Sea Rider, I would have went with the new 15 hp Merc but $$$ prevented that. There never be more that the wife in the boat. My mechanic has informed me that the vertical and prop shaft should put the 9.9 back in operation.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You're welcome Zodiac 340,

If with just 2 up much better. Have propped right all my Sibs and Ribs for 2 up for OB to run at max wot rpm range, the hole shot is much nicer compared to the standard prop factory delivered with the OB. Portable OB's comes usually with a medium pitch prop as a starter one, doesn't mean that's the correct prop for your boat length and load, that's why a prop maximization is the way to go with under powered OB's to get the max fun out of the combo.

Would recommend to buy an induction Hardline hour/tach model HR-8061-2, tell the mechanic to install it right on the tiller arm front of the throttle grip to watch it while testing max wot rpm achieved with 2 up. Check Iboats, Amazon for them, best investment ever.

Happy Boating