Quick Disconnect Battery terminals

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I disconnect my battery on my boat for different reasons fairly often and one of my pain points in doing this is having to unscrew the connections for positive and negative each time. I know it's a first-world problem, but I was trying to find a solution to this. I found these quick disconnects for battery terminals and was wondering if anyone has used these, particularly in a marine setting, and whether they would work. My main concern is vibration and whether they would come loose over time and make a less-than-adequate connection.

Attachments

• photo308109.png
    photo308109.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 3

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Most boaters use a battery switch. They are moisture and corrosion resistant, and non-sparking. Non-sparking is real important if you have an inboard or sterndrive engine....

Just so you know, if your battery terminals come loose, you will likely ruin your voltage regulator.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn’t touch them with a 20 ft. pole.

I don’t like automotive type ring clamps or wing nuts for that matter.

Marine battery connection with Nyloc nuts

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You didn't explain why you have the need to quick or easy disconnect your battery.
Are you physically removing the battery from the boat or just want to disconnect it for electrical (possible draining) reasons?

As suggested, the best way to electrically isolate your battery from the boat would be a marine battery switch.
As for actually removing the battery, I don't know if any marine safe quick discounts. Hopefully someone here can suggest something.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
41E7lHX8%2B5L._AC_UL130_.jpg

Last edited:

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You didn't explain why you have the need to quick or easy disconnect your battery.
Are you physically removing the battery from the boat or just want to disconnect it for electrical (possible draining) reasons?

As suggested, the best way to electrically isolate your battery from the boat would be a marine battery switch.
As for actually removing the battery, I don't know if any marine safe quick discounts. Hopefully someone here can suggest something.

I physically remove the battery pretty often or just disconnect the battery cables. I was told by a marine mechanic to disconnect the battery cables from the battery when charging it or I could damage my electrical system in the boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I wouldn’t touch them with a 20 ft. pole.

I don’t like automotive type ring clamps or wing nuts for that matter.

Marine battery connection with Nyloc nuts

I don't like them either. Every boat I have ever owned had battery cables that mounted with nuts and bolts. Then, we just bought a new SeaRay and it has the ring clamps that mount to a stud.

With the length of wire provided it doesn't look like there'e enough left to cut off the ends and mount a proper fitting.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Hey Jason, get a new Marine mechanic. You can safely charge the battery while it is connected to the boat's electrical system. Many outboard and all inboard motors do that every time they are run....

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, that’s good to know. I always disconnected all of the positive and negative cables every time I needed to charge the battery.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hey Jason, get a new Marine mechanic. You can safely charge the battery while it is connected to the boat's electrical system. Many outboard and all inboard motors do that every time they are run....

SeaDoo jetskis have big bold letter warnings in their owner's manuals about charging the batteries. Apparently, there is a big potential to harm the MPEM unless at least 1 cable is disconnected. They recommend removing the battery.

I don't know about other jetski brands. Maybe the mechanic worked on SeDoos too and that's why he said what he did...

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Some may argue...they're cheap enough, try 'em bearing in mind the connections may come loose from vibration, etc. and keep an eye on 'em.

It appears you disconnect/charge the batteries often so you'll likely monitor them more often than the rest of us.

BTW, for charging (more for peace of mind) with an external charger, you only need to disconnect one cable...the negative cable is the preferred one.