2 Stoke choice: Yamaha 25hp vs Merc 25hp Sea Pro

DIYboater14

Cadet
Good day all!

As my boating project evolves so has my engine choice. I will be powering a 2018 Princecraft Yukon 20” transom. As funds have a limit new 4 strokes are unlikely due to cost and weight.

I have two 2-stroke engines on the line; mid 90’s Yamaha 25hp electric start tiller 20” and a 2013 Merc 25 hp manual start tiller 20”. Pricing is about the same on them. What are your thoughts on the better motor? I have heard rumors of an ability to upgrade the Merc to a 30 hp with a restrictor plate swap which has appeal given my boat mods will add a little weight. That being said feedback on who has done it and their review of it may help.

I welcome your thoughts on this. Thank you in advance.

DIYboater14

Cadet
Between 100 to 120lbs I believe; the Yamaha being a little heavier given the electric start.

i have to admit power tilt would be the cat’s ass as manually tilting these may be daunting.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Both good. Yamaha better all things equal but perhaps they aren’t with the merc being newer ? Lucky to get a 2013 2 stroke. Not an option as new as that over in Europe.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If both OB's cost same the Merc which is a rebadged Tohatsu has a 5 HP+. The conversion is all about changing the restrictor plate for the 30 HP model which it's peanuts cost + a slight time advance increase depending on the timing the 25 HP was factory delivered with.

Tilting is simple, just grab the rear cowling handle, pull with slight force forward and OB will tilt nicely. Those 25/30 OB's are around 52 kilos each. There's plenty info here, check Tohatsu 25-30 HP convertion. If something it's not clear, simply ask..

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check if this 2 strokes Tohatsu 25/30 pic is same as the 25 HP Merc OB being offered as Merc has 2/ 25 HP versions, the previous one made by Yamaha and the latter made by Tohatsu...

Tohatsu 25-30 HP.JPG

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I had that same Yami on my last fishing boat. It was an OK motor and tilting it was easy. Given your choices I would go with the Merc because its newer. Even today if buying new I would go with the Merc as well because I have 6 local dealers and only 1 Yami dealer, who is always backlogged.

After 50+ years of running 2-strokes I traded that Yami for a 2017 Mercury 4-stroke. You know, MPFI, vessel view enabled, wifi, blue tooth and no need to ever adjust valves. If I ever had to go back to a carbed 2-stroke, I would save my pennies and wait till I could afford a 4-stroke. Just my opinion.

DIYboater14

Cadet
Thank you for all the info. I have some time so we’ll see what the end result ends up being. Tha k you again everyone for their feedback.