Chinese Outboards?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Outboards.....shmoutboards. It's the same thing.

If an American company made their products in China....then shame on them. Regardless, with the manufacture under their control, and with the American company to back up the warranty, the product should be OK.

OTOH, if its a chinacrap company's american knockoff, reverse engineered to boot, buyer beware.

PS - no topics are nogo - all input is welcomed.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are ya gonna send it back to China for service or just throw it away because that's how good the service is.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its just like the chinesium scooters, etc. buyer beware. no service parts available. so go ahead and buy.

FYI - 1 out of every 10 chinese made 2000 watt generators imported for Rigid by TTI had a failure upon first startup.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What do you do with all the plastic that may break on these new things.--------Saw the internals of a new Briggs & Stratton motor for a lawn mower.-----Could not believe it when I saw the camshaft gears and cam lobes were plastic.-----Who needs this stuff from the " Flungdedung " mindset ??

harringtondav

Commander
FYI - 1 out of every 10 chinese made 2000 watt generators imported for Rigid by TTI had a failure upon first startup.

I bought a 3200 watt generator at a traveling fairground tool sale. It was advertised for $200 (14 yrs ago). I hadn't heard Scott's story, but I knew what "infant failure mode" meant, and what I was getting in to.

I showed up w/2 quarts of motor oil, gas and two 1500W hair dryers. I set it up in the parking lot and fired it up and ran it for 40 min under full rated load. If it failed, I intended to take it back in and try again. But I got lucky. The thing has kept us going through 4-5 total days of no power service at home. If it died tomorrow, I'd call it a square deal.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I bought one of the first "ESKIMO" ice augers that came out of China. And it lasted less then three seasons.... The first time out the toggle switch for on/off broke... Then not long after the recoil failed... Most of the screws and bolts were loose or came loose...The metal plate that holds the ignition coil cracked and the coil was destroyed after striking the spinning flywheel/clutch plate.... I got the piece welded but I could not find a new coil....I called the phone numbers given and looked online and it was like the company that made it did not exist....I think some of those good deals you see for outboards from China are if you buy several units....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think some of those good deals you see for outboards from China are if you buy several units....

Kinda like buying a donor boat for spare parts.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
while researching outboards to re power my boat I came across a "Yamaha dealer" in Indonesia selling new inexpensive Yamaha outboards. After talking to the Yamaha service department I lost interest. I was told that the company was not an official dealer, you can not find parts for the motors, Yamaha would not honor any warranty and the outboards are not EPA approved.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look for those " dealers " using google maps.-----You may find that the address in in the jungle or an empty field.-----Carefull when it is too good to be true.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Over on chiboats a poster is asking are those American outboards anygood.Can we get parts?:D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Over on chiboats a poster is asking are those American outboards anygood.Can we get parts?:D

technically, that would be 在iboats上,一張海報要求美國的舷外機是好的。我們能得到零件嗎?