Best value dial bore gauge for cylinder inspection

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I need to determine what precision level tolerance and quality of manufacturers is needed for a dial bore gauge to determine clyinder in spec or out of spec diameter or out of round.

I want to avoid buying multiple times but also don't want to spend twice as much than needed.

I bring this up here because it's not a model/drive specific question.

Also, I guess this would include a micrometer to set the zero of the desired bore diameter to compare.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unless you plan on rebuilding many...many...many engines, simply take your block to your local machine shop. they will inspect for about $40

Avoid cheep inspection tools. most are nowhere near close to accurate

a good bore gauge from Starrett or Mitutoyo will be about $3-400

a good set of inside mics and outside mics will be about $600

I am lucky, as my father was a machinist and head of quality control for many years, so i have a nice set of inspection tools and i still pay the machine shop to re-verify

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could go with a set of SNAP gauges and then a standard caliber to measure, instead of a dedicated bore gauge(s). And for the record, the machine shop I use does it that way. Just an idea.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
GIve five unskilled people a bore gauge and a set of mics and you’ll get five different answers.

A customer just paid close to $13k with expenses for me to prove the point in person...lol

Unless you have the skill and know how, leave the measuring to the pros.