Help me decide.....2019 Mercury 20 hp or 2019 Yamaha 20 hp

bbush68

Recruit
I am in the market for a new 20 hp outboard for a 14 foot jon boat. I have narrowed my engine choices down to Mercury and Yamaha mainly because of the number and proximity of dealers. Both motors will be 2019 models. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be more dependable and reliable. Is Mercury or Yamaha having any problems with their smaller outboards? Is one motor design better than the other? The big thing that I have found between the two are: Mercury decreased engine size in 2018 from a 351cc to a 333cc but added fuel injection. Yamaha still has a carb. Is the new engine size on the Mercury any less reliable or more prone to any problems? I do like the idea of fuel injection over a carb though. Thanks for any comments back.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
both motors are made by Tohatsu

why not save money and buy a Tohatsu

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The Merc is a rebadged Tohatsu and the Tohatsu it's also an EFI model, should be bit cheaper to buy. If it were my personal choice would go per my much preferred carbed fuel system if I were to perform simple DIY maintenances...

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've had both and can't complain about either one. I have only 1 Yami dealer in town and he's a good guy, although some times he's a little backlogged. Butttt, I have at least 6 Merc dealers in town and many of them are good guys.

So far its about 50/50, but after buying my last EFI Merc I'm now Merc all the way.