Delivery Problems with Mercury Four Stroke 200 HP

AlHein

Recruit
In July 2018 I bought a new Jeanneau Merry Fisher 895 Offshore with 2 Mercury Four Stroke 200 HP 3.4l. The boat arrived at the dealer on time but the motors are still missing.
Mercury first confirmed shipment on Sep/Oct 2018 but now they announced Jun/Jul 2019!!!
The boat season then has almost passed so it is not acceptabel!
Does anybody know something about the reason (quality issues, rework .. ) or can tell me the contact data (email, phone no.) of Mercury Head Quater (in Germany Mercury does not comment the situation)?

Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
There has been a lot of chatter on Internet forums about Mercury Outboard lead times being 12+ months. Not sure why, but they have done some model change-overs in the past year.

I *think* the reason is demand . . ., but there could be other reasons.

What is your dealer & Jeanneau telling you about the outboards?

AlHein

Recruit
Thanks for fast response!

Both don't have comprehensible explanations, so I suppose that there are some severe problems regarding design modification etc. which need rework and stop of delivery.

Best regards, Albrecht :cool: ... Sulzbach, GERMANY

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes you need to threaten dealer that will be buying Yam or Suzy outboards very soon as the extra long waiting time elapsed is not acceptable. Will see how fast they ship both engines. LOL!!

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Last year Mercury redesigned all of their bigger engines and killed the production lines for existing models. It created a huge back log of engine orders that are still in effect today. They also began a policy of prioritizing boat manufacturers having priority on engine deliveries. I understand that the priority stupidity may have been done away with, but it still leaves that huge backlog. I have 7 300 hp ordered in October of 2018 that I may not see until October of this year. It sucks, but nothing can be done about it. It's not a QC issue.

harringtondav

Commander
Sometimes you need to threaten dealer that will be buying Yam or Suzy outboards very soon as the extra long waiting time elapsed is not acceptable. Will see how fast they ship both engines. LOL!!

Happy Boating

^^ Also my thoughts. Unless you absolutely require Merc. motors, threaten to walk away from the deal and find a different boat rigged for Yamaha or another. I don't know anything about German courts and sales contracts, but It seems you have fair grounds for claiming breach. Your dealer has a lot at stake, and will likely work hard to save the sale.

AlHein

Recruit
Happy news! :joyous:

After threatening my dealer and the dealer threatening Mercury Europe I just got the notice that one moter will arrive on 1st week of April and the 2nd one end of April! But it seemed too good: the 2nd will not have the required counter rotating gear, this is available end of June, so I've to use the wrong one for around 2 month.
But I'm happy to get them!

Best regards and a happy boating season for everybody
AlHein

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Personally would want going for the first option and install it right in middle transom and for the second motor wait till june to count with a CCW motor which is the way to correctly install 2 same HP motors. 2 CW motors revving high will tend to veer the combo to the left and in need to compensate that behaviour constantly with the wheel..

Happy Boating