Suggested Max HP

duckboater93

Recruit
I’m wondering if I have to abide strictly by what the manufacturer puts as max hp. My boat has a max of 15hp. It’s an Alumacraft 1436. If it’s safe to go over the suggested max then by how much is it safe?

Attachments

• photo307428.jpg
    photo307428.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
The mfg rating is based on the boat's structure and handling at max load. Structure has a fair amount of leeway. The safety depends on the skills and sanity of the operator. The weight of a too-large motor will change the whole game.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
So can you run an old 18 hp on it ?-----that might be lighter than a new prop rated 15 hp.

harringtondav

Commander
I'm not going to make a suggestion that will get you into trouble. But my opinion is you'll likely be OK. Just sneak up on the full throttle and learn how the boat handles. But do not crack the throttle at full tiller until you know how the boat reacts.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
a really skinny 14' flat bottom boat.

Strange that the manufacturer states on tech plate that can only handle 3 passengers for such large boat. Any other 14 footer can handle more passengers along larger 20 to 30 HP engines ..

Assume that once the beast has been tamed with a 15 HP engine, OP can power it with a 18-20 HP easily....

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look up that model of boat !-------Not all 14" boats are equal.----Fairly scary little machine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Strange that the manufacturer states on tech plate that can only handle 3 passengers for such large boat. Any other 14 footer can handle more passengers along larger 20 to 30 HP engines ..

Assume that once the beast has been tamed with a 15 HP engine, OP can power it with a 18-20 HP easily....

Happy Boating

a very low, tiller steer would have a much lower HP rating than a 60" wide transom, 20" tall with remote steering.

much more to it than simply length of boat.